Day trips from Munich

Search

Day trips from Munich

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trips from Munich

I'm trying to find out about possible day trips from Munich by public transportation. I've been to the Fussen/castles area and also to Saltzburg which seem to be the two most often mentioned day trips. I haven't been to Munich itself and am considering it for next summer but only if there are at least a few day trips that would make sense. I've heard you can do Rothenberg but can't seem to find anything about it now that I'm actually looking.
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 02:02 PM

I think Rothenburg would probably be too far away from Munich for a daytrip. You can use www.viamichelin.com for drive times or http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en for the train schedule.

You may have had a hard time researching Rothenburg because you were spelling it with an "e" instead of a "u". Its a common mistake but may help with your research.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 02:36 PM
aggiemom

There are some tours (I think I remember Grey Line as one) to Rothenburg that leave from major hotels in Munich. They leave early AM and return late - I think they say the whole day will be about 12-13 hours. It's on a nice bus and I forget how much it cost, but somewhere around 50 € per person I'm guessing.

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

I checked viamichelin and they say it's less than 2 1/2 hours driving. But I don't want to rent a car and can't seem to find public buses (or trains) that go there from Munich. Aggie- that's good to know, maybe a t our group would work.

Any other Bavarian towns or villages that you can get to by public transportation?
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Consider tours to Oberammergau, Garmish, Dachau. I understand the World Cup is in Munich in June and most of the hotels are already booked for that period if that affects your planning.
Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM

isabel, according to the German rail website (http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en), the train from Munich to Rothenburg is about 3 hours and 15 minutes including two changes.

If you are still looking for interesting daytrips, perhaps you could consider Nuremburg. Its a great town with a neat historic center. We spent a day there in May and really enjoyed it. It is about an hour and a half from Munich by train with no train changes.

Oberammergau is a beautiful little town and is also less than two hours by train from Munich, although it does require one train change.

Good luck!
Tracy