day trips from Athens

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trips from Athens

Will be in Athens for about 6 days. After seeing all the sights in Athens and spending a day touring the Saronic Islands, what would be a good good day trip by train that we could take? (Hotel is near the train station.)
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM
P_M

I did a day trip to Delphi from Athens and loved it. My only regret was that we went on a organized tour. I think it would have been more fun by train.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 08:22 AM

I took my daughter to Delphi when she was 10... In the middle of walking around she yelled "Mommy, I've fallen in love with Greece".. Probably the most special day of my life.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 04:30 PM

PM would you elaborate on why you feel you should have gone to Delphi on your own,rather than on a tour. We usually don't take tours, but I thought that in Greece, it may be difficult to go on our own.

Any feedback, anyone? Thanks
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:56 PM
P_M

The tour wasn't bad, but the reason I usually prefer to go on my own is that I always feel rushed on organized tours. I was traveling with my Mom on that trip and I thought an organized tour would be easier for her. But since then I have heard from many posters on this board that Delphi is easy to reach by train. I hope someone else can give you the details on going by train. If you are still not comfortable going by train, then go with the tour. I would much rather you visit Delphi by tour than to miss it altogether. It's quite a sight.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 05:29 AM

We didn't go on a tour because I like to wander at my own pace. However, we hired a driver that took us and then went on to Meteora for the night... Toured Meteora the next day - and returned to Athens that night. It was a great 2 days.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM

To get to Delphi by public transport, you'd need to take bus. I took the bus myself. I'm not sure if you can get there efficiently by train: anyone know? I think I've talked about Delphi before so if you click on my name you can find said post.

Mycenae is a neat site and close enough to daytrip. I think you can get there by train, but again I took the bus so I have no details on that.

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM

hi,
you might as well rent a car if you are comfortable - would likely get one for $25 euros/day and then you can go to delphi and explore the little mountain town next door, called Arohava.
Other stops by Athens include the Temple of Poseidon, Cape Sounio (65k from Athens). There's lots of other ruins - just check out a guide book that will have pictures for yout to pick what your interested in.