Search

visit Meteora

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
visit Meteora

My husband and I are visiting Greece for the first time in May this year and one of our questions is if we should make a trip to Meteora from Athens. We only have a couple of days to spare for the visit so would you suggest taking a bus there, a tour (which doesn't leave as much time to explore the monasteries or hike around them) or renting a car. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 04:04 AM

We rented a car from Athens. I think it was about a 5hr drive, but we stopped a few times. We got there mid- to late day the 1st day, and spent two nights. If I do it again I would do it the same way, stop & see some sites along the way, get there and either relax or see 1 or 2 monasteries the first day. The 2nd day see the rest.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 04:37 AM

Definitely you have to visit Meteora. It is one of the most stunning places I have ever visited. I suggest you could take the train (Intercity train to Kalampaka) which is about 3,1/2 h from Athens. Check the link below for Meteora and the link for the train
http://www.culture.gr/2/21/212/21207a/e212ga02.html
http://www.ose.gr
The right column has the time-table and the train routes. Just choose Athens to Kalambaka (and choose the train route through Paleofarsala) The ticket costs about 10 euros.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:58 AM

I took a two night bus tour that included Delphi and Meteora and really really enjoyed it. I felt I had plenty of time. I'm wondering if you took the train to Kalambaka (where the tour stays) how you would get around in exploring Meteora. You would still need a car.

If you can fit it in, do both Delphi and Meteora. They are extraordinary!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 07:24 AM

We visited one monastery at Meteora last year, and the chapel was a literal jewel box, quite lovely, and the setting is surely unique. However, I much preferred the ancient sites we saw, such as Delphi, Olympia, and Mycenae. If you haven't made plans to see anything outside Athens other than Meteora, take a look at a good guide book and decide what you might prefer.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:39 AM

I made my first trip to Greece last summer---Kalambaka, Athens, and the islands. Kalambaka is a delightful town, and the Meteora region is definitely worth the time. I agree with oddy--there is nowhere like it on earth. I always prefer the freedom to explore at my own pace, so I would opt for renting a car from Athens. Delphi was also magnificent.
Also---could I recommend a site in Athens? See the museum of folk art just off the Plaka. After seeing Kalambaka, it really gave me a sense of the various regions of Greece, and if you are into ethnic dress/costume at all, the display is fabulous. Not a large museum--I went through it slowly in about an hour.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 08:58 AM

Judylynn

I think that Meteora is certainly worth a look see no matter how inconvenient it may be to get there from Athens.

Just make sure that if you intend to visit the monasteries that you wear a skirt of modest length. Otherwise, you will have to "rent" a gunny type sack from the monks or nuns before you are allowed entry. And by the way, the awesome chanting you hear int he background will most likely not be live but piped in from a cd player. It is also good to remember that even though you may not be aware of it, you will be closely watched. So don't even think of sneaking any pictures of the icons in the chapels unless you want to be extracted therefrom by the scruff of your neck. One woman in our group merely pulled out a video camera and before we knew it she was gone, never to be seen for the duration of the tour. Can't say that I hardly blame them, since the artifacts housed in these monasteries are irreplaceable relics of the Greek Orthodox patrimony.

Come back and tell us how you fared.
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I'll keep that in mind about the cameras and the skirt (wasn't sure if pants were okay for women or not). Taking the train sounds good but how do you get around once you get there or are the local buses a good way. Also the renting a car is a possibility but we were a little leary of trying to drive out of Athens. Does anyone have any experience with this. We're still thinking about Delphi since this will be at the end of our trip and we'd like to spend a couple of days in Athens walking around (thanks for the tip about the museum of folk art) Does anyone have a recommendation of what hotel to stay in in Athens. We'd like mid-range accomodation, simple but clean near the Plaka with a roof-top view would be perfect, has anyone stayed at the Hotel Attalos and do you remember how much you paid? Also, would it be possible to spend a night there in Athens, store your luggage at a hotel and then return there after a night or two in Meteora. Looking forward to your great suggestions!!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 04:58 PM

Has anyone taken a helicopter tour of meteora??? We are planning to visit from sithonia, and that was an option from out hotel - I was wondering if anyone has any imput?
Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Now there's a scary thought. I'd pass on the helicopter. We can't run them safely here in the states ie. Grand Canyon, etc. I don't imagine a country that lacks guardrails on mountainous roads has a proper safety plan in place for helicopters.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 04:25 AM

I second what others have said -- you don't want to be afoot in the Meteora. You spend the night in the towns of Kalambaka or Kastraki which are roughly 2 miles to the closest monastery and then the distance to the last of the 6 you can visit is roughly 5-10 miles more. This would be an uphill walk. However, you don't have to rent a car in Athens. If you're willing to take a bus to Kalambaka, you can rent a car there. Check here: http://www.kasbah.com/cars.asp?carhire=Meteora

You could then see Meteora and use the car to see some other sites in the area like Delfi, Thermopylae, and Vergina.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:11 PM

Judylynn:
In case you're still checking here...I laughed when I read your concern about driving out of Athens. We did it, but went in circles a couple of times. The bad news is streets are rarely marked. The good news is you can almost always see the Parthenon and navigate from there. Husband and wife driving in Athens is like wallpapering together. If you survive it, you'll be together forever.
There are several reasonable hotels (when the Olympics is not there) on the west (?) side of the Parthenon that have views (over tv antennas and ugly rooftops). We liked the family-run Acropolis View.

Vera
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

I laughed when I read your reference to wallpapering together - that's what I'm always saying, also and the funny thing is my husband thinks we make a great wallpapering team but I'm ready to divorce him whenever we try it together. But since this trip is to celebrate both oour 50th birthdays and our 30th wedding anniversary, I guess it's worked so far! Thanks for your driving in Athens story, maybe we'll give it a try although it will be at the end of our trip and we'll have to see how many "navigating fights" we've had by then.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 10:05 AM

Judy- You should definitely make the trip to Meteora! It is a bit of a drive, but well worth the trip. I would have to say it is one of the most impressive sights I have ever seen...the pictures really don't do it justice. It's beautiful!
Regarding your question about hotels in Athens, I stayed at the Amalia Hotel and it was great. The rooms were a decent size and were clean, the staff were all very helpful and very friendly, the location was great and only a short distance to the Plaka and they offered a good breakfast. If you go to Meteora you should consider spending the night in Kalambaka. There is also an Amalia Hotel there (I stayed there as well) and it was also very nice.
Happy Birthday and Anniversary. Enjoy your trip!