Athens to Thessalonikh with family!!!

Jan 14th, 2019, 12:26 AM
Original Poster

Athens to Thessalonikh with family!!!

Hello,we are planning our trip for February 15 until 26 from New Jersey as our trip will be hard for us with two children.We would love to have anything set up before,Hotel our car places to visit where to eat etc! We think that is agood idea to stay in Athens for 8 days and rest of them in Thessalonikh.Another issue is tham i am very concered about car rental policies can i rent a car from Athens and going to Thessalonikh?Is that possible or it has any limatations?As i remember an old trip that i had to Rhodes i wasn t able to move even for few hours to another Island.
Jan 14th, 2019, 06:00 AM

If all you want to do is get from Athens to Thessaloniki, just take the train.

It's a fabulous train ride, through the mountains south of Larisa, then past Mt Olympus south of Thessaloniki.

Just buy at Athens Larissa station, or see TrainOSE -
Jan 14th, 2019, 06:13 AM

I'd take a couple of days and drive to Thessaloniki - stop at Delphi - awesome ruins where the Oracle of Delphi held court and then to Meteora and it mountain top monasteries. If going straight D to Th take the train. 8 days seems like overkill in Athens - and more than a few days in
Thessaloniksi too. For more on trains check www.seat61.com (Man in Seat 61's commercial and highly informative site); BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

I'd suggest driving Athens - Olympia and its neat ruins and seaside area location - then up to Corinth - more neat ruins - Delphi - Meteora -Thess.
Jan 14th, 2019, 06:44 AM

Do you know what you will do during a whole week in Athens?
visit all museums?
day or half day trips to places like Dafni, Kaisariani, Cape Sounion, Hydra, Mycenae........?

Do you plan to stop over somewhere between Athens and Thessaloniki?
If not, a train ride (see post 2 above) might be a better solution. There may be snowfall along the motorway:
Jan 14th, 2019, 06:50 AM

Some other actual pictures from Greece
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-eu...nketed-in-snow
Jan 14th, 2019, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

We are thinking going to Plaka,Syntagma,Acropolis also the Museum the next day to Onassis cultural center i saw another one for my kids Museum of illusions Athens.Any other ideas?
Yes i think i might stop for two days Larisa.the rason i would prefer rent a car than train is that i want to have the freedom going everywhere i want otherwise i have to rent a car in Athens spend my time there going with kids on train i don t like the idea to be honest and then rent a car again in thessalonikh?
Jan 14th, 2019, 10:20 AM

I think i would prefer going by car than train but you should think the weather if it has snow on the road don t put your family in danger.
Jan 14th, 2019, 11:00 AM

Are you planning to return the car to Athens when you leave? That will be no problem whatsoever. If you want to leave the car at Thessaloniki you will have to check with the company about drop-off charges, assuming they allow it.

Rental companies usually won't let you to take their cars on ferries, so that is a different situation. If the car breaks down, they won't want to go to another island to retrieve it.
Jan 14th, 2019, 06:33 PM
kja

You've already gotten some great advice! I'll second the train if you aren't trying to visit anywhere in between, and would note that you can also visit some of the intermediate destinations (e.g., Delphi) without a car.

If you haven't seen it, you might find some useful information in my trip report:
With Gratitude for a Glorious Solo Month in Greece
Jan 15th, 2019, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi Heimball,
No i am planning to drop the car in Therssalonikh but my fear i s what you said ( usually won't let you to take their cars on ferries] is there a problem wit a city 550km away if the car broke down whats next?

ONE WAY RENTALS: Applicable between Hertz locations following a written authorization and a special charge agreement with Hertz.

ACROSS THE BORDER RENTALS: Allowed only with the prior written agreement with Hertz.

FERRY RESTRICTIONS: Allowed only with prior written agreement with Hertz. Please note that any damage to the vehicle in transit will be not covered by any insurance
Jan 15th, 2019, 12:58 AM

Hello,
Is my first time here and i register to take some advices for my next trip on Santorini for Honeymoon.As i was looking to set this up i had some questions about car rental policies.I did my research you can't go to another Island for ex {Mykonos-Santorini} but you can go Athens to Thessaloniki and come back but you want to leave from Thessalonikh and Drop the car there.This has to be an agrrement with extra CHARGE that really cost.1st why don t you think taking the Airplane or Train? 2nd you have to think the snow that you might see as you drive.3d you feel comfortable driving a National country road?If you want to do this much you have to look very good and find some smaller car rental companies or Local that have collaborators to Thessalonikh that may cost you nothing.
Jan 15th, 2019, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Laurenquiban
it seems your approach is closer to me.Just to let you know i already have make a contact with a smaller company Named Imperial Car Rental they told me that they are ok with that with a way smaller amount of money. I was happy for 5 minutes because i was thinking that actually i came up with a solution but my wife saw the Photo that Neckervd sent to us and said noway we are taking the Train so we are now from where we started.I ll make a post in one two days when it s final waht we decide to do.

Last edited by chrisrizos; Jan 15th, 2019 at 01:41 AM. Reason: mistake
Jan 15th, 2019, 01:23 AM

That's funny, anyway maybe the Train work better for you.

Search this Thread