Athens side trips- which would you suggest

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I will be in Athens in mid-July. I am currently choosing between a full day tour to Delphi (also includes Levadia and Arachova) and a full day tour to the Peloponnese (includes the Corinth Canal, Mycenae, Nafplion, and Epidauros). I will definitely do one, but I cannot do both. Which would you suggest and why?

Also, I have a 1/2 day Athens city tour included in my package. I can either go from 8:30-12:30 or from 14:30-18:30. Which do you think would be better.

Thanks!
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Please, does anyone have any opinions on this?
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM
P_M

I took the tour to Delphi and it was lovely, I highly recommend it. I have heard Corinth is nice also, but I haven't been there.

As for your city tour, I would do the morning one to get an overview of the city. Then in the afternoon you can return to any place of interest you saw on the city tour.
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:33 PM

hello Shellee990

I've done both trips a few times now and for me, if I only had to choose one, it would be the Corinth Canal, Mycenae, Nafplion and Epidauros tour. (the latter two are my most favourite places).

Delphi is wonderful but somehow I seem to enjoy the other tour more.

I hope some other regulars here come along and give you their thoughts.

This could be a difficult choice for you!

In mid-July in Athens it will be very hot and it may be your (morning) half-day tour will first go to the Acropolis. I hope so as the heat would be uncomfortable at any other time of the day, I feel. However, if you had planned to do some shopping in the afternoon AFTER the tour then you need so know some shops will be closed. Not so many as years ago but some still do.

If I had to choose, I'd take the morning trip which may mean you will be able to have a leisurely stroll though the old town in the afternoon taking plenty of shade and long cups of iced coffee!

bill
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:15 PM

Morning tour and Delphi.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:11 PM

I would do the tour of the Peloponnese because you will see several important but very different places. I have been to all the places you mention except Levadia. Delphi is beautiful but Arachova is more of a ski resort and a lot of places are closed there in the summer. Nafplion is a beautiful town and contrasts nicely with the ancient sites.
Whether to tour Athens in the morning or afternoon really depends on whether or not you are a morning person (I'm not). It would probably be cooler for the first couple of hours in the morning tour which may influence your desicion.
Whatever you decide, have a lovely trip.

Carolena
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:15 AM

What bill says. Morning tour of Athens and the tour to the Peloponnese.

J.
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:27 AM

I agree with the others as to taking the so-called "Classical Tour" of the various sites and not just Delphi.

However, I have done this tour over several days and not all at once. Trying to do all of those places <b>in one day</b> might get a little overwhelming and by the afternoon I think you might be fed up with it.
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:32 AM

I'm not such a good coach traveler and found myself becoming a little queasy on the longer day trip to Delphi.

The trip to Corinth Canal, Mycenae, Nafplion, and Epidauros was easier for me becasue of the more regular stops and shorter times sitting on the coach. Also, there seemed to be plenty of time to see each of the places and it never felt like we were being rushed.

Milley
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:38 AM

I agree on the Peloponnese comments. It's a great tour and there are many historical and interesting stops. Definitely worthwhile and easily done in one day!
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:43 AM

Ancient Mystras 5km from Sparta was one of the highlights of my trip to Europe - stunning.
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies. I know that some of you have biases against the packaged full day tours, but the first part of my Greece trip is arranged with my school as part of an international congress that will be going on. Therefore, unfortunately, I have almost no flexibility while in Athens other than the choices I have posed. Thanks again.