Day Trip to Venice?

Search

Day Trip to Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip to Venice?

My fiance and I are planning two weeks in Italy with a week in Rome and a week in Florence in September. We were thinking of taking a day trip from Florence to Venice. How practical is that? We really aren't sure how the commute would go or if we'd actually have time to see Venice once we got there. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Most day trippers to Venice are disappointed--sharing the city with the mid day hordes. I would save it when you have at least 3 days---5 is better. See Lucca and Siena from Florence instead.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 04:34 PM

The train is about 3 hours in each direction - meaning even with a very long day you'll be in Venice only 7/8 hours - and that in the middle of the day when it's most crowded. So - you would have the chance to see little.

If you can live with just a taste of Veniceand a VERY long day - and late dinner in Florence - go for it. But instead of a week in Florence I would do 4 days there and 3 in Venice (unless you can't change hotels or air won;t work).
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:03 AM

If I were you, I'd stay in Rome for 6 nights, Florence for 4 nights and Venice for 4 nights.

Rome is interesting enough to keep you busy for a week, but 6 nights completely devoted to it are enough. The historic center of Florence is small, so I think that 4 nights are also enough. Venice is unique, and I guarantee you that you will be more than happy to have included it in your itinerary once you are there.

This is my opinion, though.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:30 AM

I agree with the people who have said that you won't see venice adequately on a day trip. Sienna, Lucca, Pisa would all be better day trips from Florence.
I don't necessarily agree with cutting short the time in Rome and Florence to add a several-day stay in Venice. I would save Venice for another trip when you can enjoy it and other near-by cities like Padua, Vicenza, Verona.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 04:56 AM

I think a lot depends on whether you think you'll be back in the next several years. If not, then I tend to agree with Castellanese. IMO, Venice is a "don't miss" - such a unique and fascinating city. As said above, central Florence is very compact and can be done in 3-4 days. Yes, a week is better and you can do some day trips that have been suggested above. But if this is going to be your only trip to Italy in the near future, include Venice (but not as a day trip).
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Agree - even if you have booked stuff and may have to pay cancellation charges - if this is likely to be your only trip to Italy in the near/middle future you should really reconsider that itinerary and make time for at least three days in Venice.

I have been to all three and of them all Florence is the one where it's easiest to see the must sees and even if you want to see the not so often seen, a week is a long time, when Venice is there just begging to be explored.

Just my opinion of course.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 06:07 AM

I'll be the contrarian here. Go. Venice is so unique that just a taste is better than missing it completely.

It is true, that 3 or 4 days is better. The traveller must get away from St. Mark's to truly experience Venice, but I still maintain that your 1 day there will have you planning your next trip.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:40 AM

My very first visit to Venice was on a day trip from Padua. Actually, two daytrips in a row (we were able to get accomodations in Padua on short notice for a very good price). Commuting from Padua wasn't so horrible, but I can't imagine doing it all the way from Florence!!

I got a taste for the place and made it a point to stay in Venice next time, which we did and it was much more enjoyable. I would only do this if this is your only chance to see Venice, otherwise I'd find a way stay there at least two nights or plan another trip to Italy soon!

I
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If the only way to see Venice, is a day trip from Florence... I say go for it. Venice is not to be missed. It is a ~3-hour train ride each way.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:08 AM

If you can only day trip do it - just to glimpse what to me is the most surrealistically sublimely gorgeous city in the world makes it all worth the journey - you'll be happy you did.

Better to indulge in this visual feast but if you can only whet your appetite so be it.