Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Neuschwanstein from Munich. Train vs Tour bus???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:42 AM
John

Two travelers are wanting to do a 3/4 day trip from Munich to Neuschwanstein. Would it be easier (and quicker?) for us to take one of the organized bus tours (Gray Line, etc) or travel on our own via train/bus/foot? <BR>Have any of you done this trip in a day? We would like to return to Munich by early evening to see some of the Octoberfest. <BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 11:47 AM
kam

We did the same but by rental car. It's very easy to do. Since you want to return for Octoberfest, I would go with the organized tour rather than going on your own. Castle is very pretty. Didn't especially love Octoberfest, but had our kids with us and they loved it.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 12:15 PM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>The car would be easy, the train would be pretty and possibly less hassle (renting one, parking, etc.) if that is all you need it for. I don't remember much of a fuss getting the train to Neuschwanstein and back...

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 01:14 PM
Russ

People do this as a day trip from Munich all the time. <BR> <BR>It's 2 hours by train. You may have to change trains once depending on your departure time. There's a 7:51, an 8:51, and a 10:51. Regular fare is 36 DM each way. On Sat or Sun, it's only 35 DM for everyone (up to 5 people can use this ticket)if you buy the "Schönes Wochenende" Ticket. On weekdays, you can buy a "Bayern" Ticket (40 DM) that does the same thing but can't be used before 9 a.m. or between 4 and 6 p.m. Make sure you only use the local trains (RE, RB, or S designations) for these discounted tickets, or you'll be charged more. <BR> <BR>You might compare these rates with a tour and see whether a tour will allow you to go right in without waiting in a ticket line -- lines there can be very long.

Old Aug 21st, 2000, 10:29 PM
nickie

I would opt for the tour, if you have any interest in seeing Linderhof castle, with its beautiful fountains and manmade grotto ( not practical to get there by train). The only tour I'm aware of from Munich does both castles, and a stop at the Wies church I believe. I didn't take the tour myself, having a rental car, but my brother did and enjoyed it. Can't remember a return time though.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 06:08 PM
Ginny

Nicki: Can we take the tour to both castles and do it in one day? Is Linderhof castle open inthe winter? Don't the fountains shut down? We'll be there in December and this tour sounds just like what I'm looking for.

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 09:19 PM
nickie

Hi Ginny, <BR>As far as I can recall, Neuschwanstein shuts down after October until March, and Linderhof after September. Sorry you'll miss them - you'll just have to go back!

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 10:33 PM
Louise

Neuschwanstein does not close down after October......only closes on public holidays. The bustrips, however, are not as regular as before.

Old Oct 22nd, 2000, 11:39 PM
Paige

I second the last post: it doesn't shut down in the winter. I think the bus tours are only in the summer, though.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 04:33 AM
xxx

We took an organized bus tour to both castles in the first week of November last year (both castles in one day). We used Panorama tours and considered it money well spent. Admissions were included in the price of the tour. The tours do run less frequently after Nov. 1. Be sure to pick up a brochure to verify the days they run to each destination. Both castles were open although the fountains were not running at Linderhof. However, the lines were relatively short.

Old Oct 23rd, 2000, 08:13 AM
SharonM

I've been to Linderhof in February and it was open.

Old Oct 24th, 2000, 07:08 AM
michael hancock

I just returned from Germany on Sunday night. The individual who said the castles close is completely wrong. There are bus trips from Munich to Neuchwanstein/Linderhoff daily, year round. I liked the bus tour, you get alot of information, and the tours at the castles themselves are succint, but packed with information. There is time for questions. Note that most bus tours do not include the price of admission which ran the equivalent of $12/person for both castles. It is an all day affair with a lunch stop(also not included in the price. I think the price was $40. The bus allows everyone to view the scenery and not hassle with driving - partly autobahn. I also suggest a day in Salzburg, Austria if possible. German Railpasses include MUC-Salzburg, you can do it in a day.

Old Nov 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Michael, I will be visiting Munich and like to go Neuchwanstein/Linderhoff also. Please share your experience, which tour company I can book. Do we need to walk 20 minutes, alternatively charges for horse drawn vehicle. How much we need to pay to guide for internal tour. Do I need to carry food for lunch.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread goes back to the year 2000.

Yep, that's "2000".

One should write a B-novel: "Zombie Threads Arisen from the Dead on Fodors".
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It might go back to the beginning of TIME but you can do it by rail; take a taxi from the station to EITHER of the castles