Search

Munich to Neuschwanstein sans car

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Jen
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich to Neuschwanstein sans car

Planning the Germany portion of a Germany/Austria trip over Christmas. We will fly into Munich, where we will stay for a few days. We are interested in taking a day trip to see the Ludwig castle at Neuschwanstein, but will not be renting a car. Does anyone know if there's a way to get there via rail/bus? We are NOT into group tours, so we wouldn't entertain that option. I'm not seeing anything that goes directly there on the bahn website, but I could be missing something. Thanks all!
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:23 AM

spell it fuessen perhaps but there are hourly rail links, some direct some with a simple change - just over two hours each way. Be sure to make a reservation for the castle as even in December there could be a long line. I waz there in November once and an incredible number of American GIs with their families for the tour. Lots of American bases nearby in Garmisch area.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:24 AM

oh and buy the bargain-basement Bayern (Bavaria) Ticket - about 27 euros for a day of unlimited travel on non-express trains like the ones to Fussen and up to five folks i believe can ride on one ticket. Can't leave before 9:30am Mon-Fri however i think - weekends anytime. Would save you a bundle.
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:30 AM

As Pal has indicated, it can be done by rail.

Some trains are direct from Munich and some require a change in Buchloe. The change is pretty easy since the Buchloe station only has a couple of platforms.

When you arrive in Fuessen there will more than likely be taxis waiting near the station if you want to go to the castle(s) that way and you can also go by public bus.
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Jen
Original Poster

Fussen. Ah, that helps. Thanks for the info. One more question about the castle itself: it appears that to go inside, you must do a tour? If that's the case, we'll just admire the outside and the environs (yes, I am tour-phobic!). Or can you go through the inside on your own?
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:05 PM

not sure how the 'tour' is done today - we went with a guide.

and i'd say the tour is incredible - a bizarro surprise at every turn - don't miss it IMO - perhaps now it's self-guided with audio guides like many places.
Old May 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Take the tour from Munich. It is nothing more than a bus ride and you stop in Oberamegau on the way.