Search

??Munich to Neunschwanstein

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 08:09 AM
ed
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??Munich to Neunschwanstein

Is a day trip from Munich to Neuschwanstein possible?? and if so how long would it it be and how much would it cost??

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 08:17 AM

It's very possible-we rented a car for one day and drove-it's very easy, not too long and then we drove to Ettal and some other small towns and visited another castle (Linderhof I believe). I think the one day car rental was about $30 -- this was 4 years ago though.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 08:55 AM

Absolutely - that's how we did it last year. You take the train from Munchen's Bahnhof train station out to Fussen. The small town of Fussen is immediately adjacent to Neuschwanstein. Then you board a local bus that drives you out to the castle (20 mins). The bus leaves regularly for the castle, as well as returns, so transport is not a problem. IMO, I would start out early from Munchen to give yourself enough time to catch the bus, tour Neuschwanstein, then perhaps have a late afternoon tea (or dinner) in Fussen before catching the return train to Munchen.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:00 AM

I would drive-it's an easy drive and you can see a lot of things in a full day that you won't be able to by train. We left Munich around 9 AM, stopped and looked around in a couple of attractive villages on the way To Linderhof. Toured Linderhof for a bit and then drove a bit through southern Austria along the Plansee--stopped for lunch at a restaurant overlooking the Plansee. Drove into Hohenschwangau, checked into our pension, then walked to the ticket office to check on the castle tour tickets we'd reserved for the next morning.

It was still light out so I asked the ticket attendent if we could still tour Hohenschwangau castle that evening, and that's just what we did. That way we had most of the next day to daytrip after visiting Neuschwanstein the next morning.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Or you could take a bus tour from Munich, which is what we did several years ago. The bus picked us up at our hotel, and delivered us back there that night.

We went to Neuschwanstein, Linderhof, and Oberammergau.

I can't remember what it cost, but I'm sure it was quite reasonable..

Byrd
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:55 AM

I think driving is the way to go to the places mentioned. You more efficiency in coming and going as well as flexibiity as to where you stop and what you visit.

We were able to stop at the Weiskirche as well. It is a baroque masterpiece.
Gorgeous little church.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 02:21 PM

any suggestions for a good rental car company in munich?
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 02:53 PM

For our car rental we used an online broker--Nova Rentacar. Everything was as advertised--Car was from Alamo. But shop around, no one car company has the best deal everywhere, all the time.

http://www.novarentacar.com
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 02:56 PM

We did this last year and loved the drive! It is beautiful!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:44 PM

Try the Alamo website. Seems like they have reasonable rates for rental cars in Munich. They are located just a few blocks away from the hauptbanhof (if I remember correctly.) Good luck.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 06:58 PM

Hi. I did this last summer. We loved taking the train because it was the best train ride we had ever taken.

I don't know what the views would be like from a car, but the views from the train were great! As you get closer to Fussen, the train slows down to about 20 MPH because the tracks curve around all the terrain. It is great!

However, be careful about visiting Neunschwanstein. Last May it was all under scaffolding. I would still go though because the German countryside is so great. It is only 8 Euro to get into the castle. Have fun.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:21 AM

By the way, if you know when you will be visiting the castles, you can order your tickets on line.

http://www.hohenschwangau.de/546.0.html
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 03:20 PM

Hope I am not responding to this question too late to be of help. Maybe someone will be able to enjoy the information. The train can be done for $22EURO for two round trip (or up to five for the same price) The castle (there are two) can be done for $34EURO for two people (sorry not for up to five) and the ticket (called a Bayern (I think)) can take you as far as Salzburg or other points in Austria for no extra cost. Trip is 2 hours each way minimum and the castles are 30 minute tours with a break between (to allow you to walk from one to another) and total time for these is about 4 hours. Take the horse drawn carriage on the way down from Neuschwanstein for a little treat and to rest your legs for $5EURO's for two. Castles were a little disappointing for me due to the small number of rooms shown. However the guides were a treat and they did make us feel welcome. Hope this helps someone.