Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Waht are we going to do in Rome on May 1?

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find anything that is open on this day. I've rearranged my touring schedule a million times after finding things are closed. The only thing I can't find clear info on is the Pantheon so it's currently the only thing on our list to do on that day. Anyone have any suggestions of what else to see? The Vatican, Col, Forum are all closed.

If I've left off some info you need to assist I'll be happy to oblige. TIA!
~Allison
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Well it seems I have posted prematurely unless someone has some better info, like someone living in Rome. According to the website I have for the catacombs, they are open on May 1 so we'll head there. I'll still take any suggesstions you may have. Thanks if you've made it this far...
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:46 PM

I'm not positive but wouldn't churches be open? There are some very beautiful churches in Rome: St. Peter in Chains, Il Gesu, St. Ignatius of Loyola, Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, Santa Maria Maggiore, and Santa Maria del Vittoria.

You can also walk through the Borghese Gardens, go to the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain.

Speaking of fountains, May 1 would be a great day to take a walk through Rome looking at all the wonderful fountains and squares.

Have you checked any of the walking tour companies? Last May 1 in Paris I did 2 walking tours.

Hopefully you'll get more suggestions.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:51 PM

I just checked the Scala Reale web site (scalereale.org). They have 4 walking tours on May 1.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:02 PM

The walking tours by Scala Reale could be the best thing to do, as they are wonderful, enjoyable, and a perfect day to explore Rome, and then save all of the Shopping, Museums, sights for the other days. Adrienne, has found the perfect suggestion. I would also not wait to reserve 1 or 2 walking tours for that day early, as many other people in rome that day, may have the same game plan. I think when you are actually in Rome and walking around, you may be suprised and find some restaurants and surprises that are open. But, I do suggest to use that day for a Scala Reale Tour Day. I am a big fan of Scala Reale and the quality of the guides and how small and personal the tours can be.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Can they close the Forum?
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Good question SuzieC. it does seem kind of weird that the Forum would be closed.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Churces and walking tours...what a great suggestion! If it were a snake it woulda bit me! Sometimes the most obvious of things are right in front of your nose.

I thought the forum thing was odd too but I found one site that says it is closed on holidays. Although it didn't mention May 1 specifically, I assume that it is since other things are closed as well, the Col. being one of them.

As always, thanks for your suggestions!! Only 12 more days until I'm on the plane!!
~Allison
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 03:26 PM
KT

The Forum is enclosed by a fence with a gate. They charge admission to get in. It's closed every evening, so it's no different to close it on holidays.

When it's closed, you can walk by and see it from above, but you can't walk in and really explore it. If you walk along the Via dei Fori Imperiali, which runs between the Colosseum and Trajan's Column (another good thing to see when things are closed) you can also see the Imperial Forums and Trajan's Market from a distance.

I've been on Rome several times on holidays and had no trouble amusing myself between the churches, the fountains, and the architectural exteriors. Or you can go have a picnic on the Gianicolo. I'm sure you'll do fine.