Search

Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich to Neuschwanstein Castle

Hello,
I am trying to make reservations for a tour of the castle. I want to be sure to allow enough travel time before our reservation. How far is the train ride from Munich to Neuschwanstein? Is the castle a far walk from the train station or do they offer a bus service?

We are traveling in the Christmas season.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 07:05 AM

All this info is available on the bahn website, www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de. The castle is actually at Hohenschwangau. If you use that as the destination, you will find there is a bus from the Füssen Bahnhof to Hohenschwangau.

If you leave on the 8:52 train from Munich Hbf, you should get to the ticket kiosk at the bottom of the hill at 11:13. I would guess that the walk up the hill is a half hour or less, but I've never timed it. I've alway allowed plenty of time and had a nice lunch at the hotel at the bottom (white bldg on right, just before hairpin, where the horse carriages leave).
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 08:22 AM

There is a bus that takes you to Marienbrücke (Mary's bridge) above the castle. It's a short walk down to the castle from there. €1,80 for the ride up. To take the bus down (€1,-), you have to walk back up to Marienbrücke. You might as well just walk back down.

There are also horse drawn carts that leave from in front of the hotel (Mühler) just up the road from the ticket kiosk. €5,- pP up, €2,50 down.

I can't find travel time or frequency for either.

www.hohenschwangau.de/328.0.html
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 10:24 AM

I would rent a car
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Renting a car is a good idea since there are other things to see in the area and having a car would make that easier.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for relaxing on the train and not having to drive.

Either way, getting to the castles is very easy. Tons of people make the journey from Munich.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 01:11 PM
ira

Hi TE,

I think that you will find this helpful.

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Be aware that not all trains to Fuessen from Munich are direct. You may have to change once in Buchloe (an easy change to make) cepending on the timing.

You can take a bus or a taxi from the Fuessen station to the BOTTOM of the hill where the castle is located. Either walk up or take one of the horse-drawn wagons.

Assume you are going to reserve on of the English-language tours.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Wow... thanks for all of the quick responses. You all have given me lots of great information.

We had not considered renting a car. How are the roads between the 2 cities, is it an easy drive thru small towns? What about getting out of Munich?

We have never been to Germany but have experienced several other large European cities that I would not have wanted to drive in...

We would be driving on Dec 26th to the castle if we decided to rent a car so I assume that most German famiies will be home celebrating with their familes on that day as well.

What are some other recomendations of "not to miss" sights or villages along our route in case we drive?

Thanks again for all of the great advice!!
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM

>What about getting out of Munich?
If you've been driving in New York, it's not much different from there, if you're downtown. Someone parking / standing in your way whereever you are. Rather slow traffic during peak hours. Once you're on the "ring", it either stop and go or probem-free.

On the 26th traffic won't be a problem at all.

Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:48 PM

We drove back to Munich from the Fuessen area - the drive was really easy. We dropped the car at the airport, so we didn't have inner-city traffic to deal with. I have heard that you can save a little money and traffic hassles by renting a car slightly outside the center of Munich - at rental places toward the outer edges of the S-Bahn routes. Something to consider if driving in Munich seems daunting.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

J_C,
That is a great idea. I will try to find a rental location on the outskirts of town. I'm sure that my husband (who would be the driver) would appreciate that.

Logos,
Yes, we or should I say my husband is a great driver and can handle most anything. We were in Ireland last summer and that was quite exciting! I was just worried that Munich would be like Rome... which is a city that I would not drive in for anything... Thanks for the post!

We are getting excited about our adventure. Keep the ideas coming for possible side trips outside Munich for Christmas Eve, Day and the 26th.

Salzburg is a great idea to drive into the city and attend a Church service. I would also like to experience the beautiful Church bells. What is parking like in Salzburg? I am assuming that it will be very crowded.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:04 PM

I've been to Füssen three time and never felt I missed out on anything by not having a car. If you have extra time, see Hohenschwangau. It's right there and as interesting as Linderhof.
Old Dec 14th, 2007, 04:13 PM

>Munich would be like Rome...
No, don't worry it's "civilized", people obey the traffic regulations , you may just have to change lanes frequently. Just a lot of drivers on "not so wide" roads, but then the roads are in much better shape than in NY.
Old Dec 15th, 2007, 02:46 AM

Travel:

There are many things to see between Munich and Fussen. Germany is a driving country! The rental car location will give you directions to the autobahn (signs are usually easy to follow). Roads are well maintained.

Things to see:
Garmish(zugspitz)
Mittenwald
Oberamergau
Weischurch
Schloss Linderhof

Be aware:
You will have a very, very full day if you try to see everything and still try to make it back to Munich! Better to stay overnight in the area and explore on the way back.

Things to be aware of:

Weather: Winter= Scnee=Snow=ice in mountains! Driving could be trickey...another reason that Maybe a nice train ride would be the better bet!!

Neuschwanstein is magical in the winter! The view from the "Marionbrucke" is better than the tour (in my opinion!)

Old Dec 15th, 2007, 05:58 AM
ira

Hi TE,

OOPS

www.hohenschwangau.de/
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

BMW,
Where is Marionbrucke?

I am begining to think that the train trip will be our better bet... we are from the south and have not experienced winter weather driving...
Old Dec 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Ira,
Thanks for the link... it is a beautiful area.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:22 AM

The Marionbruke (Mary's Bridge, named after Ludwig's mother, I believe) is a footbridge over a small gorge just behind Neuschwanstein castle. You walk further up the hill, past N, to get to it. Another option, if you have taken the shuttle bus from the bottom of the hill to N, it drops you off a bit above the bridge and you can walk down to the bridge on the way to the castle. If you have more time and the weather is nice, there is a trail that continues on the other side of the bridge that you can take.

I definitely would recommend visiting Hohenschwangau castle at the same time. You can get a combination ticket to see both. H is where Ludwig grew up and the family history is really interesting. Ludwig's mother was quite a mountaineer - she and her "ladies in waiting" climbed all the peaks in the area and Wagner, the composer, was a close friend of the family - he seems to have been particularly close to Ludwig in a nudge nudge, wink wink sort of way We learned all this stuff on the H tour.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Travel_Europe:

I hope I did not scare you off of a car rental! The roads are usually in excellent condition in the winter, just got to be aware that you might hit a snow squall...especially if you try to take the Local(scenic)roads that run thru Garmish.
The car gives you so many options to explore that beautiful area!! I always seem to find myself at Neuschwanstein in the winter!
I always have arrived by car...I cannot help you with the train station distance.

Just as larryincolorado stated the "Marionbrucke" (Mary Bridge) is a high bridge that crosses a gorge alonside the castle.
It is easy to find, just below the trail to the entrance, look for the signs. Bring the camera!! If you are afraid of heights (like myself!!) it will add an extra thrill!!!....especially when a gaggle of Japanese tourists decided to "jump up and down" while on the bridge!!

Once again, snow...ice might be on the trails in and around the castle..
so be aware.

Have a great time! Post your photo's
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 10:49 AM

ttt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -