day trip Luxembourg to Epernay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 people in Luxembourg in October would like to visit the vineyards/great champagne houses in Epernay, France. Can anyone propose a company that would handle such a day trip?
Old Mar 28th, 2018, 11:42 AM

You might contact the Luxembourg City tourist office and ask about companies or individuals doing such tours. I'd suggest renting a car and doing your own trip - easy to visit the Champagne houses and caves in town and some vineyards en route to Luxembourg City - about 3.5 hours by train so also a fairly long drive. You'll save a ton renting own car and probably a driver you'd get in Luxembourg likely unfamiliar with Champagne tours, etc.
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I know it's really too far, but we'd love to go. I think we'd need reservations at the champagne houses??? There are tour groups in Epernay but they start at 9am and with the travel time, not workable in one day. I've had good luck in the past finding guides and hoping to snag one here. We could rent a car and then meet a guide in Epernay???
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Office du Tourisme Epernay - Pays de Champagne | Tourisme à Epernay et ses alentours

yes hire a car, do contact tourist info above for timings, most visits are just down the street from TI (Avenue de champagne)
Old Mar 29th, 2018, 10:32 AM

need no tour guide once there - check with houses' web sites on need for reservations. Used to be most were closed for a long lunch break 12-2 or so.

bilbo - they want to see vineyards too to tour and that too can be done by car on your own.

No interest in nearby Mosel-Saar-Ruwer wines?
Old Mar 30th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Mar 30th, 2018, 08:13 AM

it isn't "really too far", it's only about 2.5 hrs by car. The train route just takes longer as it isn't direct, so too far to do it by train, probably.

I do think you should make reservations if there is a particular place you want to go, yes.
Old Mar 30th, 2018, 08:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can of course visit the vinyards on your own, I've never heard of someone wanting to visit just the vinyards, but we are not all the same. If I wanted to visit a vinyard I'd look at the Montagna de Reims (to the north of Epernay) apart from the very top (a wood) you can see a lot of vinyards with some great views of the whole area and see the rivers and canals in the valley bottoms. You will be able to see a few restaurants on the main road in the woods and a "lighthouse" in the fields which normally houses a restaurant with lovely views.

You can also visit many of the "houses" on your tod, though normally the house will provide a docent to walk you around and let you taste for a price. Assume E10 is the normal but if you are buying they may let you off the price (as if )
Old Mar 31st, 2018, 06:26 AM

Yes car ain't that far and with some research you could do better probably than any 'expert' guide you may find in Luxembourg and save a bundle.