Day trip from Seville?

Feb 28th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Day trip from Seville?

Hey all,

Trying to put the finishing touches on our itinerary for our upcoming 8 night trip to Spain at the end of May/beginning of June. We are planning 3 nights in Madrid, 1 night in Toledo and 4 nights in Seville.

We want to do one day trip while in Seville and are having a lot of trouble choosing exactly where that will be. We have spent many hours reading posts on just about every travel forum as well as several travel guides. Truthfully I am starting to feel a little frazzled and not a whole lot closer to deciding than when we started. I'm starting to think we may have to flip a coin.

Anyways, I was thinking maybe some input from folks who have been to some of these places might help with the decision.

I think we are looking mostly for somewhere that will be a nice contrast or compliment to the other stops on our itinerary. Culture, history and food are our main interests. For us with day trips, I think exploring and wandering about takes priority over museums. We had not planned to rent a car, but could probably be convinced to do so if need be. I will also throw out there that we both only have limited Spanish language skills.

Cordoba: obviously has high value architecture/history and is easily accessible from Seville. While smaller than Seville, maybe comes across (at least in our reading) as being a somewhat similar "vibe". Concerned it may feel a little too similar to Seville?

Carmona: Seems to be a nice, "safe bet". Close to Seville and a being a smaller town, looks like it could be a nice contrast to Seville.

Jerez: If one of us doesn't drink alcohol, and we are both kind of ho-hum about horses, is is still worth considering?

Cadiz: My wife and I are both fascinated by pictures of old-town Cadiz and the seaside promenade. A couple hours on the coast would be a nice change of pace from the rest of the trip. I've read a few descriptions that made it sound semi-exotic with the international traffic coming from Africa. I read one description that described Cadiz as "pirate-y" which is an adjective I don't hear every day. Con: longer travel time from Seville. What about crime? I read Cadiz has some of the highest unemployment in the country. I guess if "pirate-y" is in reference to that, then maybe we'll look elsewhere. heh.

What about white villages? Seems tougher to manage without a car and not sure if we're up for paying several hundred euros for a guided tour.

Any insight or advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Feb 28th, 2011, 02:46 PM
kja

> Cordoba: . . . Concerned it may feel a little too similar to Seville?

I didn't think so. In fact, I thought Cordoba and Seville had very different vibes - Seville had the vibrancy of a city; Cordoba had a quieter, "peek in my courtyard" feel about it. I enjoyed both for different reasons. The Mezquita is amazing and unique and well worth seeing.

> What about white villages? Seems tougher to manage without a car

Rhonda can be visited by public transportation, although traveling to and from takes a while (2.5 hours each way, if I recall correctly).

Hope that helps!
Feb 28th, 2011, 03:46 PM

Córdoba is a very easy day trip. We did that when we were in Sevilla for 4 nights like you. As kja says, the mezquita is very interesting.
You could even do Granada as a day trip, but it would be a very long day (close to 3 hrs each way)
I have been to Cadiz, it's a pleasant city but IMO, not for 90 mins- 2hrs each way.
Feb 28th, 2011, 04:22 PM

Hi; If you want to do White Towns, consider Paul McGrath and his tour. We had a great day. Richard http://www.theotherspain.galeon.com/...os1249195.html E-MAIL to comfirm prices. [email protected]
Feb 28th, 2011, 04:42 PM

I believe that Paul McGrath has discontinued his tours to the White Towns.

I second the suggestion for Cordoba. It is an easy train ride and the Cathedral inside the mosque is unforgettable.

I also suggest that you look at the web page of reallydiscover
dot com in Seville. The company has a wonderful Tapas tour in
Seville and you won't need dinner. I assume that one could substitute a different beverage for the wine. The company has also started an artisan tour in Seville which should be interesting.

Do enjoy!

Pat
Feb 28th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Hi again; If you wanted to do the White Towns, I think Paul has started to do this tour again. So you could e-mail him and get the straight scoop and price.
Feb 28th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight everyone. Cordoba does seem like the obvious choice.

We had mulled over trying to pull off a Grenada day trip, but it seems just a little too far for comfort.

Even Seville to Cadiz seemed like we might be pushing it.
Mar 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM

'I read one description that described Cadiz as "pirate-y" "

This is so funny - wherever did you hear this? Cadiz is a great town to visit, my favorite city in Spain. However, if you only have time for one daytrip from Seville I wouldn't miss Cordoba.
Mar 5th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cathy,

I think it must have been a post on T/A. If I remember correctly the author was trying to describe it as colorful seaside port city.

I think we'll probably end up in Cordoba, but for some reason my wife and I are both slightly ambivalent based on what we have read and the pictures we have seen which is why we were seeking out other options.

Although, maybe part of that is that most of the travel guides we have read seem to focus almost solely on the mosque and don't spend a lot of time discussing Cordoba's atmosphere.

I figure most likely the second we get there, the light bulb will go off and we'll laugh about how we almost missed out on it. If that makes sense....

Search this Thread