Seville or Cordoba

Search

Seville or Cordoba

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seville or Cordoba

I have two nights to spend in either of these cities. Any preferences out there? My friend didn't like Cordoba but my travel agent feels it is not to be missed.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:20 AM

Hi,

I would stay in Sevilla. It is a wonderful town to explore. How will you be getting there?

If you are coming from Madrid by train, I'd stop in Cordoba for a morning or afternoon on the way to Sevilla. You can see the Mezquita and wander around the town for a little while before ending up in Sevilla in the evening.

Karen
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 04:26 AM

By all means, Seville. You could take a day trip to Cordoba to see the Mezquita but with only 2 days in Seville, I suggest staying there.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Third vote for Seville but I would stop or take a day trip to see the Mezquita. It is beautiful!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 09:24 AM

What a shame that you cant spend more time in both cities.

In general there is more to see in Seville but given the choice I would still pick Cordoba. I liked he warmth of its people, there was less hurry, just an overall nicer experience.

Granted, the sights in Seville are some of the more important in Spain, in particular the Alcazar, the Cathedral. Still, Cordoba is hugely important in its own right, as the center of Moorish Andalucia. If you are a history buff you will find it fascinating, if not at least see the Mezquita and the Torre de la Calahorra, which houses a small but excellent presentation (if a bit idealistic)
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:18 AM

Sevilla, sin dudo!
Cordoba's neat, but Seville is Spain's Andalusian heart - beautiful, festive and full of that zeal for life. There's much more to do and a lot more to see.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 02:19 PM

We have decided to take the fast train from Madrid to Seville and break our journey with 5 hours in Cordoba. When viewing the street map it seems that a lot of territory could be covered after dropping bags into storage and leaving the station. Any advice on what to do in five hours may also assist kbarshay if the same option is considered. Thank you for your advice.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Seville. Hands down!!!!

Beautiful city to walk around in. Beware of the heat if you're there in the summer.

It's brutal walking around in 110-120 degrees.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:40 PM

We just came from Seville, Cordoba and Granada.
we spent 2 night in Cordoba, and I think the most could have been 1 night.
We loved Seville. There is so so much to do and to enjoy and people stay late eating and having ice-cream.
Cordoba, we loved the Mezquite and the horse ride that showed us the city all over.
1/2 a day is good enough to see the most important things, including the synogage.
Sue
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Your question led me to another one: can you "break" your trip on the fast train (AVE), that is, can you get off in Cordoba and then take another AVE? How does it work? I actually looked at the railway company website today (www.renfe.es) and could not find an AVE from Madrid to Sevilla. Could you give me some information about that (timeframe, price, etc.), if you have it? Thank you! Daniele
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 04:18 PM

One day in September we will travel as follows. Depart Madrid Atocha on AVE9666 at 0830am and arrive at Cordoba at 1012 am. We will then walk around for 5 plus hours and depart Cordoba on AVE9628 at 1544 to arrive in Seville at 1630 pm. From there we will spend three days with the highlight being the Opera Carmen at the Carmen in Sevilla Festival. I recommend that you use the travel planner page on the Detsche Bahn rail site - it is one of the best travel aids I can think of.