Day Trip from Prague

Search

Day Trip from Prague

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip from Prague

My husband and I will have time for 1 day trip from Prague. Which of the following tours do you seasoned travelers recommend?

1) Karlstejn OR Konopiste Castle
2) Kutna Hora and Sedlec II
3) Cesky Krumlov and Holasovice and Ceske Budejovice
4) Karlovy Vary
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 04:37 AM

I've been to Karlstejn, KH, and CK and would vote for CK. Karlstejn was disappointing as there is not much to see in the castle. You can take a look at it on the web site.

CK was the most unusual and prettiest town of the three I've been to.

Unless you have a car you won't have time for all the towns under #3.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 04:39 AM

Here are some photos from my trip last year.

http://modigliani.shutterfly.com/cze...kowfrankfurtpa
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:03 AM

Karlstejn is really only a half day trip,nice enough place but not a lot there except the castle though it is a very nice walking area.
Konopistie is a ncie place but again the castle itself is only worth a half day trip and the town of Benesov that it is near is not the most inspiring of places.
I suppose with a car you could do both places in a day if you had transport
Kutna Hora is very nice about an hour from Prague,the Bone church in Sedlac is about 2 kilometer from the main town but there is plent to do there for the day.
as to your 3 choice to much and to far in a day.
i have not been to any of these places but will be making a trip to Cesky Budejovice in October for a brewery tour.
Karlovy vary is a long way for a day trip beter having an overnight there unless you have transport and don't mind an early start and late finish
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Adrienne, your photos are beautiful! If mine don't come out, I'm going to order yours!
Uncle Gus, thanks for the info, also.
I think I'll focus in on CK, and make sure our guide doesn't pack too much in that day.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Kutna Hora/Sedlec is only about an hour from Prague, so I probably would lean toward that, even though we thoroughly enjoyed a day in Český Krumlov (two hour and 20 minute drive from Prague). Click on link below and go to Central Europe 2008. Check out Chapters Two and Three of my trip report (with photos). Maybe that will give you an idea.

http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 10:50 AM

I was in tabour in may this year,a faorly easy day trip from prague and well away for the horads of tourist that will frequent the otherplaces.this is an excert from my trip report posted on trip Advisor.
I post it not just for your info but for anyone else rweading the forum and considering day trips.
Tuesday 17th May
We have a day trip to Tabor today. I had heard about this place on travel forums and found out that it was easy to get to from Prague, Andy had some DVD’s of European train travel and Tabor was featured in the Czech Republic one so we decide to go.

Return tickets cost 382kc for the two of us and we left from Hlavni at 9.16 am, the journey was fine until we reach Benesov where we have to transfer to a bus as there is some engineering work being done to the track, about 30 minutes on the bus took us to some place that shall forever remain nameless, a 2 horse town in the middle of nowhere, we re join the train and are in Tabor about 10 minutes later than scheduled.

Once in Tabor we walked to the main town it is a 15 minute or so walk but there are buses you can use, we enjoyed the walk and were delighted by the small town of Tabor, it has a warren of streets that are quite confusing, for many years this was an enclave of the Hussites in the Czech Republic and they basically rebuilt the town, I am not going to give a history lesson, you want info just google it.

The place is really nice with a town square some obvious town walls and a very nice little tower which gives great views over the town and of the surrounding countryside. There is also a medieval museum within the tower building which is very nice and informative, cost for both tower and museum was 80kc each.

We have lunch in the restaurant Modra Ruze, pork steaks with ham, potatoes and loads of veg. (150kc); it was very nice though I wasn’t so keen on the potatoes. this was washed down a Staropramen beer (22kc).

Fed and watered we headed to the town hall and to the Husite museum there, nice exhibits and some great dioramas of battles ,all a bit lost on me as I just could not really work out all the history.

We then took the tour of the underground vaults that start here, The Museum and vaults tour cost 100kc for both.

The tour was great fun, you have to wear a hard hat and even someone as short as me bumps their head, we joined a tour with about 40 school kids and their teachers, the tour was in Czech and we were the only 2 non Czechs on the tour, the guide very kindly came to us at each interesting bit and explained in basic English where we were so we could check on the English crib sheets we had been given ,very kind of her it was not in her remit to do that but she kindly gave us that info. The tour finishes in another part of the square and we return the short distance to the town hall to return our hard hats and crib sheets, it has been real fun. We then take a wander out of the old part of town and down to a waterfall area and carp farm, all very nice though the waterfall is a bit quiet, we then walked along the man made reservoir (there is history about why this was built, something to do with a fire in the old town and no water to put it out) back to the station.

It has been a great day, nice warm weather, a lovely town, a nice meal, and really nice people. This is a day trip I can recommend folk trying, not many English speaking tourists about, but a nice place with enough to keep you interested for the day and people that are genuinely pleased to see visitors.

The train trip back is uneventful and we do not have to be bussed past the engineering works.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Would you consider a trip to Dresden? Via train? Vastly different than Prague. Would be a long, but rewarding, day.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 11:28 AM

I wouldn't call Cesky Krumlov a day trip - or if you do it, you'll spend most of the day travelling and miss out on the time when Cesky Krumlov is at its finest - at night.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/cesky_krumlov_photos.htm
I like Konopiste Castle - and there is a lot more to see inside compared to Karlstejn.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/czech_rep...ste_castle.htm
In my opinion, more photogenic than Konopiste is Krivoklat Castle.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/czech_republic_krivoklat.htm
Kutna Hora is pretty special though some people find the bone church a little spooky.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/kutna_hora_1.htm
I have practical information about getting to these places - just click on the link for the place that interests you.
Old Jul 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM

Cesky Krumlov, hands down
Old Jul 14th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

I am leaning toward CK. Thanks all!