Day Trip from Berlin to Quelinburg

May 8th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Day Trip from Berlin to Quelinburg

I am visiting Berlin for 4.5 days in August. I will be meeting a friend there who will have already spent 3 weeks in Berlin studying law. I am aware of Berlins trendy and modern appearance and want to visit at least of the timber framed quaint towns. I was looking at Quelinburg, small and two hours away from Berlin. Does anyone have any experience or insight into visiting this town from Berlin? Opinions, or may additional suggestions? Please help this is my first European trip and I am trying to get to visit as much as I can of Germany.
May 8th, 2014, 12:11 PM

Are you talking about a day trip? It's over 6 hours round trip by train to Quedlinburg (note spelling) and return. If you're set on it and don't mind spending the money, renting a car might be the way to go.

On the other hand, there are a lot of places in and around Berlin including Potsdam that would more than fill 4 1/2 days.
May 8th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. Obviously there is a couple typo's and grammatical issues with my post (oops!) must have been typing too fast.
May 8th, 2014, 12:38 PM

Quedlinburg is a beautiful historic town indeed, however I think Wernigerode is even better and a little closer to Berlin. But the train still takes 3:06 one way and with a car you would need about the same time. So, it is a pretty long way for a daytrip. But Wernigerode is incredibly beautiful. You get a few impressions here:
http://www.raymond-faure.com/Wernige...ernigerode.htm
You should consider staying overnight - then you can visit both Wernigerode and Quedlinburg (which is 10 min away from Wernigerode). In Quedlinburg the night watchman's tour is very interesting.
May 8th, 2014, 12:40 PM

After spending 2 nights there last September, I personally wouldn't spend 5-6 hours roundtrip from Berlin to visit Quedlinburg.

As Trophy says,
"there are a lot of places in and around Berlin including Potsdam that would more than fill 4 1/2 days."

I would add that these places are a lot closer to Berlin...

Have a good trip!!!

May 8th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! This is extremely helpful. I will have to talk about this with my travel partner.

For those of your recommending Potsdam, what is some advice for visiting? Any must see spots/tours? Have you been to Quedlinburg and still recommend saving time and not making the visit? What if I never return to Germany?
May 8th, 2014, 01:22 PM

Potsdam and Quedlinburg/Wernigerode are different.

Potsdam has three major castles and a historic district, but no half-timbered houses.

Quedlinburg and Wernigerode are small towns which are almost completely built of half-timbered houses.

It is like apples and oranges. Both are fine, but different.

Another option, just 1:36 from Berlin, would be Schwerin - a medium-sized town with a most splendid castle at a lake.
May 8th, 2014, 01:43 PM

I'm not saying "Don't go." I've been to Wernigerode and Quedlinburg and Goslar, and they all are lovely and well worth a visit. In my younger days I could see myself doing what you plan, but it's 6+ hours of sitting on a train. It's up to you how you want to spend your very limited time. If you never return to Germany, I think you need a longer trip.

Here's a link to activities in Potsdam from TripAdvisor, in the mysterious order they place them. Your mileage may vary.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...andenburg.html

Do either you or your partner speak some German? That will be helpful in Quedlinburg and Wernigerode.

Search this Thread