Dresden / Berlin

Search

Dresden / Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dresden / Berlin

I will be in Europe in September 2013 and I am planning my itinerary as well as booking my hotels now and I am a little stuck -- I have 3 days I could spend fully in Berlin OR I could take one of those days and spend the night in Dresden and then take the 1st train in the morning (or last late night train) to Berlin for the last 2 days.

Do you think Dresden, even though I'm sure you could spend a whole week there, is worth taking 1 day away from Berlin? I know it might be a lot of traveling but I don't know when I would be able to visit Germany again.

So, Dresden 1 day & Berlin 2 days or spend all 3 days in Berlin?
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 06:08 AM

Yes, you could easily spend the day in Dresden. Both cities are lovely, but we really enjoyed our time in Dresden. The main attractions are in a compact, easily walkable area. Train connection between the two cities is pretty easy. I would opt for taking the last night train if you can, so you still have 2 full days in Berlin, which is also fantastic (though you may need to figure out where to stow your luggage... Not sure if the train station has facilities?). In other words, you can't make a bad choice here, but personally I'd go with the Dresden option. Have fun!
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

thank you! I'm going to look into options of luggage storage & if not available see what time the 1st train out is in.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 07:14 AM

3 days are very short for Berlin - IMHO too short. I would not squeeze another destination in but spend the whole time in Berlin. It is rushed enough.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 07:40 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with quokka, but it really depends on what you want to see. Three days in Berlin weren't quite enough for us, and two days in Dresden felt too short, as well. Everything takes longer than you might think when you're on holiday. I would stay in Berlin.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 07:45 AM

Agree with PP.....
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 07:54 AM

Stick with Berlin and save Dresden for another trip. I could easily spend 2 weeks in Berlin and Potsdam alone. Dresden would involve several hours on a train roundtrip.
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

hmmm ok I'll have to take everything into consideration. The train from Prague to Dresden and then from Dresden to Berlin are all less than 4 hours each since they are direct so I'm thinking of maybe just spending a few hours in Dresden. Luckily - I am flying out of Berlin back home so no need for any more train rides after I arrive.