Search

Day in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day in Rome

Me and my family are planning to stay one day in Rome. Looking for advise how to spend this day and what to see.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 07:30 PM

Must see is Vatican city, spend a few hours there, after that you can take "the walk"
If you get almost any "tourist" map of rome, it will show you the route. You can start right at Vatican city, and it only takes a couple of hours. You will see the Trevi fountain, Pantheon, The Spanish steps, and 3 or 4 more major attractions. Don't forget to toss a coin in the Trevi fountain, face away from it and use your right hand, and toss it over your left shoulder. After that see the Coliseum and the Roman forum. That should make for a full day
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 08:05 PM

I was just looking at this site:

http://freespace.virgin.net/colin.jones20/page4.html

I think it is a good way to spend a day in Rome
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 03:28 AM
ira

Thank you, Indymajic.

I have been wondering about how to toss the coin into the fountain properly.
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 05:17 AM

H.V. Morton, in his "Traveller in Rome", gives the history of tossing coins in the Trevi:

"It looks as though a drink of Trevi water was the original tradition and that the casting of coins came later. At any rate by the time Baedecker published his eighth edition in 1883, the custom had been well established, and he gives the formula: to drink the water,(which no modern visitor does), and to cast in a coin. There is nothing said about turning one's back. By the time S. Russell Forbes wrote his "Rambles in Rome", in 1892, the custom had developed into a ritual. 'If you wish to return to Rome', he wrote, 'you should come here on the last day of your visit, take a drink out of the rim of the fountain with your left hand, then turn and throw into the water, over your left shoulder, a halfpenny.'"
Old Sep 12th, 2003, 05:48 AM

Hi
to offer another idea, on a one day visit, I don't know if I'd include the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel. For one thing, there's almost always a very long entrance line and I wouldn't want to waste the time standing around.

I would go inside St Peter's--it's awesome.

Then I'd cross the river to the Historic Center, and see the Trevi Fountain. Spanish Steps were disappointing to me, but they're pretty close to the Trevi.

If you are an ancient history buff, you can visit the Colosseum and Forum. Otherwise, browse, stroll, see the Pantheon, have a meal or snack on Piazza Navona.

If you click at the top of this screen on Destinations, you can get to lots of free info here on Rome, including advice for short stays.
The Steinbicker book "Daytrips Italy" also has a good one-day itinerary and walking route.

You will need a map--Streetwise Rome is available in most chain bookstores.