Speed touring Rome

Search

Speed touring Rome

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed touring Rome

I scheduled a day in Rome in two weeks, then off to Spain. Any secrets to avoiding lines? Insider hot tips? Would the gardens be worth visiting in the cold weather? I really would like to know how I could see underground Rome.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 03:45 AM

With only one day, I suggest the open top bus tour - if it's not raining.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 04:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to cram in as much as possible, you could get to the Vatican Museums when they open, since they close early afternoon in winter. When you reach the Sistine Chapel you could exit by the door on the right as you face the rear of the chapel. The door on the left is the one that is marked as the exit route for the general public, but it will take you all the way back to the museum entrance. The door on the right is supposed to be only for tour groups, but it leaves you right outside the entrance to St. Peter's. If you can blend in with a tour group and leave that way, you can walk right into St. Peter's, saving a walk around the outside of the Vatican wall and a security line.

After visiting the basilica, you could take a taxi to the bottom of the steps designed by Michelangelo leading up to the Campidoglio. Walk around to the rear of the senate building on its right and enjoy the view out over the Forum. Then walk around to the rear of the Senate building on its left, and descend the steps into the Forum.

Walk through the Forum toward the Colosseum. You can enjoy the Colosseum without going inside. Keep walking toward San Clemente church, which is a 12th century church built over a 4th century church built over a 2nd century pagan temple. You can descend through the layers for a small taste of underground Rome.

This leaves out a few things you probably also want to see. Certainly the Pantheon, and I'm not sure when you could work that in during hours it would be open. You can walk around in the evening after dinner to see the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona and, although not essential, the Spanish Steps.

This is definitely speed touring. No time for a leisurely lunch. It could be modified by leaving out the Vatican if you want to concentrate on ancient Rome, which is what I think I would do.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:31 PM

Hi
Just curious, why only one day in Rome?
Rome is such a facinating city. I was there In January 2 yrs. ago for several days and just barely touch the surface.
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 01:40 PM

Its too bad you will only have a day; Rome is a fascinating city not meant to be rushed.

However, with only one day in Rome, I would immediately head towards the Colloseum and the Forum. It would be hard to imagine going to Rome and NOT seeing the Colloseum! If your quick, you could see them both before lunch. Grab a quick lunch and then spend the afternoon either walking around and viewing the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps area or visiting St. Peters.

Tracy
Old Dec 21st, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much and especially Nikki for the tips on the line. I can blend believe me! That tip brings back memories where I had arrived late to a required business seminar. I waited for the doors to open to let out the group at the end of the seminar at which I covertly slipped in, signed the attendance log and pretended I had been there all along.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:32 AM

If you're going to be in Rome for only a day (something I do not recommend - Rome requires far more time than that), I'd recommend skipping the tourist attractions, which will make 99% of your day composed of waiting in line, and spend the day wandering around (start at the Colosseum/Forum, the latter of which I don't believe has lines), then go around the Piazza Navona areas, Spanish Steps/Piazza del Popolo/Villa Borghese areas (lunch at Casina Validier in Villa Borghese, though pricey, has an excellent view), Vatican city, and Trastevore. See St. Peter's/the Vatican museums if you have time, but the real beauty of Rome lies in exploring the feel of the city itself.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 06:01 AM
jpm

Two years ago we did "Rome In A Day". We were staying in Florence and only had one day to get to Rome - which my cousin really wanted see.

Let me say, you can do Rome in a day, and you can't do Rome in 6 months!!!

Here was our schedule for what is worth (times may be a little off):

7:30 Left Florence on Train
9:00 Arrived Rome, took subway to Colosseum. Got there right as it opened and walked right in.
10:00 Headed to Forum.
11:00 Taxi to Vatican.
1:00 Scavi Tour
2:30 Vatican Museum (after Sistine Chapel snuck out tour group entrance so we were back at St. Peter's.)
5:00 Taxi to Pantheon.

Spent rest of evening walking around Rome (Trevi, Spanish, etc.), shopping and getting Dinner.

Arrived back at train station at 10:00. Quickly bought tickets for the 10:07 train to Florence, ran out and hopped on.

It was a quick, busy day. But you will be amazed at how much you can see and do. Is it the best way to visit Rome? No. But it that is all the time you have, then go for it!

And most of all - HAVE FUN!!!

jpm
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 06:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I just want to point out that jpm's itinerary would have to be modified because the Vatican Museums close early in the winter. Maybe 1:30, you can check the times. So I recommend doing that first thing in the morning if you want to include it.