Search

Rome in a day

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome in a day

We have 12 hours in the port of Civitavecchia to see Rome.We want to do it on our own and not be part of a ship tour.Any suggestions would be appreciated.We want to see as much as possible and are physically fit.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:04 PM

I would say go to Vatican City and see the Vatican Museum and St Peters Basilica and then go to the Colosseum.
I don't know how far Rome is from the port (I've heard it's an hour each way), but you'll need to subtract that.
The Vatican Museums can easily take 2-3 hours and St Peters + climbing the dome would be at least 1-1.5. The Colosseum will probably take 1-2, so you might be able to fit in the Forum (right next to the Colosseum) and maybe some gelato!

If you have money to spend I would just take taxis everywhere, but if you are trying to go cheaper I would recommend taking the metro.

There are a couple of good gelato places by Vatican City. One is Gelataria Millenium and is between the Museo Vaticani metro stop and the museums and one is on the left as you are walking from the museums to St Peters-it's called Old Bridge and is by the Foot Locker. Just because gelato was my favorite part of Rome!!

What cruise line are you going on?
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:04 PM

While you can't see all of Rome ( and I'm sure you don't expect to), you could get a nice taste of it. It would be more helpful if you told us when you will be there (opening hours of attractions change at the ned of october) and also your time frame for example 7am to 7pm would give you more than say 11am to 11pm.
Generally, the colosseum, roman forum tour takes ~3 hrs. The spanish steps, trevi, trevi, piazza navona route takes a couple of hours. While I don't think the vatican museum is viable, I do think St.Peters Basillica is 'doable' in a couple of hours. The Borghese gallery has 2 hour time slots that must be reserved. If you day starts early then I'd go with the following order:
1. St.Peter's
2. Ancient Rome (coloseum, forum, etc)
3. Lunch
4. Borghese gallery
5. The spanish steps to piazza navona / campo di fiori walk. Maybe you could even start at Piazza del Popolo and wander down the shopping street first.

Of course it would vary depending on your interests and available time.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:32 PM

We are doing this Nov. '05 and have found out that ...

Civitavechia (sp.), you can go to Rome in about 1 1/2 hrs. by train - then meet up with a taxi or tour co. to see the Vatican (some of it), coluseum, lunch (at some point) maybe some shopping - then back on the train.

People have gone there for weeks and never seen everything-how could we.

Just treat it as another 1 day cruise port and do the best you can. of course, you'll have to go back to see the rest of it !!

Keep in touch, I need to learn more.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 11:18 PM

I think that you could do Rome in a day. A bunch of the things you'll want to see are close.

Buzz through the Vatican in the morning. See the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's especially with the Pieta inside it.

Then, go by Castel Sant? Angelo which is within walking distance to the Vatican.

Then go by the Pantheon either by bus or taxi, which is free and on the way to the rest of the major stuff to see.

Then get to the Il Vittoriano at Piazza Venezia. This is also known as the wedding cake. From there, you can walk to the Forum in about 2 minutes and walk around a little there. Unless you're WAY into archeology, a tour is a little much.

Then, the Colosseum is just right there, 2 minutes from Forum.

After you're done with the Colosseum, go back towards the "wedding cake" and you can easily walk to the Trevi Fountain, where you should toss a coin to ensure your return to Rome. The fountain is very charming at night, too.

Take a bus or taxi to the Spanish steps, which are 5 minutes by car from the Fountain, and you've seen the major sights of Rome.

There are also Shuttle Tours, the buses where you pay a flat fee, and get on and off as you want to, to be taken to major sites and get a spoken word rundown of the place.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy Rome. It's very fun.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

ilmurdol,Thanks for the info and thanks to all the responses.Ship is Regatta,Oceania cruise line-680 passengers and excellent but quieter than some.Rome 8AM-8PM