Search

3 days in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Rome

my parents are spending three days in rome this friday to sunday does anyone have any advice on what they should do while there? my dad has never been to the city. also any recommended restaurants? thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:19 AM

My favourite Roman restaurant is Trattoria Monti on the Via San Vito, a short walk from Maria Maggiore Church.

For the best view of Rome, tell mom and pop to head up to the top of the Castel Sant'Angelo. It isn't too far a walk from the Vatican.

My favourite church in Rome is Santa Prassede.

I also love to stroll through the Borghese Gardens.

P_P
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:27 AM

They're arriving in Rome in 2 days and don't know what they want to see and do???

For a restaurant - a budget would help.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
One day they can see the Forum and Colosseum and the Pantheon, the major sites of ancient Rome.

Another day they can see the Vatican, going through the Vatican museums to the Sistine Chapel, then leaving the chapel through the door to the far right as they face away from the door through which they entered. This might be marked for tour groups only, but they can probably just walk through by following a group. This will leave them at the entrance to St. Peter's without having to walk all the way around the outside of the Vatican and go through security again. If they do this, they must not check anything at the entrance or rent audioguides, because they will not be returning to the museum entrance.

A guided walking tour to either Ancient Rome or the Vatican or both might be a good idea, to get more out of their visit. I used www.enjoyrome.com, but there are other recommended tours that you can find by doing a search here.

There is a wealth of information on this message board, but you don't have a lot of time to read it all.

This is a link to a list of top things to do in Rome from this site's destination guide:

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/i...ure_30001.html
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

thanks very much for your advice... i'll have a look at the links, as for a budget i would say they are looking for good quality restaurants that aren't too touristy or ridiculously expensive thanks again
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:47 PM

We don't know what your parents might think is "ridiculously expensive." I live in NYC, so my idea of expensive may be different from theirs. Giving an actual highest price may generate better responses.

Are they staying in a particular area? Do they want restaurants close to their hotel or are they willing to take a bus or taxi to find a good meal?

I also love Trattoria Monti, but if your parents are staying near the Vatican, it might not be their first choice to travel to the other side of the city.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

i know they are staying at the hotel veneto on Via Piemonte however as they are hoping to see the vatican and the collosseum and are planning on going on a bus tour of the city they would be willing to eat in different locations, as for a budget i would say possibly 70/80 euros for both for dinner? thanks again.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 05:01 PM

OK - and expensive dinner would be 250 to 300 euros for dinner (at a special places).

A dinner for 70 to 80 euros for 2 including wine would definitely be in the moderate category. They can probably eat at Trattoria Monti for something in that area if they are careful.