Day in Rome

Apr 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Day in Rome

We have pretty much one day in Rome, Afternoon of one day through afternoon of the next. Any suggestions of how we should make the most of it in Rome? What are the must sees?

Thanks!!!!!
Apr 14th, 2008, 02:16 PM

You've basically got two half days here. If it were me and it were my first time in Rome, I'd spend the first afternoon seeing as much of the Forum and/or Coliseum as I can. For the next day, I'd opt for the Vatican Museum (and get there early, as there may be a good-sized line to get in) and then do a pop in to St. Peter's Basilica.

But there's tons of things to see and do in Rome -- depends on whether you prefer museums, churches, ruins, shopping, whatever.
Apr 14th, 2008, 03:14 PM

In one day you can't see all the "must sees" so should choose according to your interests.
I would pick out two out of three of the following
(1) Forum/Colosseum/Palatine
(2) Vatican City--vatican museums and St. Peter's
(3) walk around Piazza Navonna/Piazza della Rotunda (Pantheon)/Campo dei Fiori area

Frommers has a 1 day suggested itinerary you could adapt. Day #2 has the Vatican
http://www.frommers.com/destinations...064020766.html
Apr 14th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Visit the Colosseum and the Forum. English language tours with Italian docents are available; audiophones for self-guided tours are available at most tourist sites.

Go back to the Colosseo Metro stop and take Line B (Blue) Northbound (Rebibbia) two stops back to Termini. When you transfer at Termini you go from one line to the other and donít pay another fare. Change trains to Line A (Red) Northbound (Battistini) six stops to the Ottaviano/San Pietro stop. Exit station and walk south on Via Ottaviano, through Piazza del Risorgamente to Piazza San Pietro (St. Peterís Square)

Visit St. Peterís Square (San Pietro) and St. Peterís Cathedral. The Pieta is located in the Cathedral as well as many other outstanding pieces- there is no charge for St. Peterís, but you do have to go through a security check. Note: Perhaps the best gelato in Rome can be found at Old Bridge Gelateria, which is across the street from where people line up to get into the Vatican Museum. The Nutella gelato is Carolynís favorite!). The Vatican Museum houses the Sistine Chapel, which is magnificent. It will take probably at least 2-3 hours to make this visit due to the lines, so you may want to keep that in mind while deciding whether or not you want to include it in your itinerary.

Walk southeast on Via della Conciliazione (a major avenue) to the Tiber River. Cross the Tiber River on one of the bridges. We recommend the Ponte Sant Angelo or ďBridge of Angels,Ē which has several Bernini statues of angels on it, which crosses the Tiber at the Castel Sant Angelo. Continue on Corso Vittorio Emanuele (another major avenue). Take a left (north) on Corso Rinascimento to Piazza Navona. Many fountains, artists and other artisan booths are found in this piazza, which is one of the best known in Rome.

From Piazza Navona walk east to the Pantheon. This was originally a temple to all the Roman gods, which was later taken over by the Christians. Its dome with its open oculus is famous. Raphael is buried here.

From the Pantheon, walk east (crossing a major avenue Ė Via del Corso) to Trevi Fountain. Trevi Fountain is the most famous fountain in Rome. If you throw a coin over your shoulder into the fountain you will return to Rome some day, according to local lore.

From Trevi Fountain, walk north to the Spanish Steps (Spagna)
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:47 AM

Where will you be staying in Rome? I realized after I posted before that you might be able to explore the Piazza Navona/Pantheon area in the evening or morning if you are staying nearby
Apr 15th, 2008, 06:20 AM

save
Apr 16th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!!! We are staying in Hotel Romano which is between the Coliseum and the Piazza. (Largo Corrado Ricci 32).

Apr 16th, 2008, 05:46 AM

If I had such a short time,I would DEFINITELY book something with Context Rome to make the most of your time.See what is available then.I would suggest the Roma Antica or Arte Vaticana.Their orientation walks are great,too,probably just what you need.