Search

Czech Republic

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2020, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Czech Republic

If you were coming from Dresden (four nights there) and going to Karlovy Vary and Prague (with Cesky Krumlov in between) and had a few days in between (either between Karlovy Vary and Cesky Krumlov, or between Cesky Krumlov and Prague), where would you go? I realize that most people go to Karlovy Vary and Cesky Krumlov as a day trip from Prague, but that doesn't usually work for me, plus I move more slowly than most so like to have enough time without rushing. I will be staying in Karlovy Vary and Cesky Krumlov for two nights each and probably five nights in Prague.

I will not have a car, so need someplace easy to get to via train or bus. I like history, architecture, food, art/sculpture (most anything a country is known for), a lovely atmosphere/great scenery without a lot of climbing/stairs, although I can do stairs if it's worth it!

If the time of year makes any difference, this will be in September.
Thanks!

Last edited by SusanP; Jan 15th, 2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 08:50 AM

I presume the way you wrote that isn't the way you plan to visit (going from Dresden to Karlovy Vary then down to CK then back up to Prague).

I'd go to Tabor. I have been there and really liked it. That would be between CK and Prague. I don't really understand your itinerary in sequence at all. There is nothing between CK and Karlovy Vary or Karlovy Vary and Prague that I'd be that interested in. YOu can easily get to/from Tabor and Prague, I've done it. And of course you can get

If I had to take the bus from CK to Prague, I'd probably choose Ceske Budejovice for a stay, because that's its route. There is a train between Tabor and CK, takes about 1.5 hrs. To get a train to/from CK and Karlovy Vary, you have to transfer either in Prague or there are some routings that take 6 hrs and stop in Plzen or Ceske Budejovice (or you transfer there). So I'd say you have to pick one of those if that's what you intend to do (Plzen or Ceske Budejovice).
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 09:02 AM

You are smart in staying 2 nights in Cesky Krumlov and 2 nights in Karlovy Vary. That is what we did, and it was the best decision we made. I personally think both places are too far from Prague for meaningful daytrips. Also, both places are beautiful at night and less crowded at night, especially CK. I am happy to see that you are including KV in your itinerary. It is so very different from CK and Prague, in location and architecture. And the things you would do in KV are very different from what you would do in CK and Prague, such as tasting the springs, going to a spa, etc.

We spent a night in Telc on the way from CK to Prague. But I don't know if you can take public transportation to Telc.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Christina, actually, I was planning that order, because I need to end in Prague for the flight home. Do you see another way? I will check out your other suggestions. Thanks.

Karen, the reasons you gave are why I wanted to stay overnight in Karlovy Vary and Cesky Krumlov. I will also check out Telc. Thanks.

Last edited by SusanP; Jan 16th, 2020 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also enjoyed Telc (we spent a night there too).

Stopped at Jrindichuv Hradec on the way to CK from Telc. Liked JH for its far less touristy feel.

We were driving, though. You’d probably have to plan very carefully if using public transportation.

Last edited by Leely2; Jan 16th, 2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 09:22 AM

Why not Plzen? It is right between Karlovy Vary and Cesky Krumlov! If food includes beer, then this is a *must* anyway ;-) But the (small-ish) city has quite a bit to offer in regards to architecture and art, too.
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Leely, yes, I'd have to check it out. Probably bus, but I had read that bus was better than train for CK to Prague anyway. Thanks.
​​​
Ingo, will check that as well. Thanks
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 12:55 AM

re:

Hey! We have been in hotel in one little town close to Karlovy Vary and it was amazing. Like the nature here was sooo beautiful and we were really happy that we saw more than just cities in CZ. Highly recommend see some nature also.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 02:34 AM

If you decide on Tabor, you could take the bus to Prague and then train to Tabor. Another possible alternative is Passau.

Check rome2rio but keep in mind that timetables are not specific to a particular date and may vary by season.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 04:07 AM

The bohemian allure and fairytale features of Prague make it a perfect destination for beach-weary vacationers who want to immerse themselves in culture. You could devote an entire day to exploring Prazsky hrad (Prague Castle), then refueling over a hearty dinner at a classic Czech tavern. Spend some time wandering the Old Town Square before heading over to gape at The Old Town Hall and Astronomical Clock. Prague’s best bars are found in cellars, where historic pubs set the scene for a night of traditional tippling.