Search

Czech Republic

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 04:46 PM
Doug

Czech Republic

I'm taking a trip to Southern Germany and am considering crossing into the Czech Republic for a quick look. Is it an easy border crossing from Germany? Can I take my Avis car across the border? <BR>Do I need a visa (U.S. citizen)? And will they let me just come in to get my passport stamped then leave?

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 04:07 AM
Kristin

I don't know what you mean by "a quick look", but it would be a terrible shame to be that close to Prague and not see it. It is one of the very finest cities to visit in Europe. Re-consider your plans if possible.

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 05:19 AM
Maira

My husband & I did that exact trip last year. First of all, when you rent the car (we rented Avis), tell them you intend to take it to the Czech Republic. They will give you special document to show in the border that authorizes you to take that car across. There are a number of points where you can cross over. We drove from Munich to a border town called Furthibald (or Furth i Wald). We took our time because our plan was to cross the border VERY EARLY the next morning. The reason is the number of commercial cargo trucks crossing over; they hurried private cars. The whole crossing took us like three minutes (this may not be the norm, but I swear it's true!!). Tour buses take more like two hours. In the town of Furthibald we stayed a the Hotel Hobenbogen. It was a very good hotel right on the main street. Please e-mail me if you need more details. <BR> <BR>Also, I agree completely with prior posting; DO NOT MISS PRAGUE!! It is an absolutely breathaking city with an amazing history and incredible sights. Along with Paris, my favorite city ever!

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 02:55 PM
Linda

You do not need a visa for Czech Republic. I agree with others--go to Prague. Do be careful with the car, some companies won't let you take them to CR because of stealing. I don't know where you will be entering from, but Prague is only 21/2 hrs. by train from Dresden, if that helps.

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 06:21 PM
Glenn Rogers

I just returned from Prague. It is one of the most beautiful cities in Europe to visit. The people are very friendly, and except for the high hotel rates(few rooms, lots of visitors), Prague is pretty inexpensive. Make sure to visit. <BR>