Search

Czech Railways

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Czech Railways

Can anyone comment on the Czech Railway system? Are the trains on time or should I be prepared for delays?
Thank you.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:54 AM

I would suggest, if possible, take the bus! www.studentagency.cz go every where and you don't need to be a student!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:12 AM

I've used the system several times. Never experienced a major delay and the equipment was more than simply serviceable.

If you are using the US passenger railway services as a general reference point then you'll be pleasantly suprised IMO.

I'm sure the busses are also fine however I have never used them in the Czech Republic and i probably wouldn't unless I couldn't get to the same destination by rail in good time. Personal preference I guess.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:28 AM

Um, maybe it was just my experience, but the bus I was on (a 1 hour trip from Prague to Brandys nad Labem), broke down, leaving us stranded next to a farm field for over 1 hour. The next bus to come along on the route picked up the remaining passengers, and I got to my destination 2.5 hours late.

Take the train. I've heard some stories about those, too, but I'd say it's the way to go. Unless there's a serious accident/derailment, the schedule stays pretty much on time.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM

I've taken Czech trains several times and they were very good. They were all on time. Have no idea how that relates to the hundreds of other routes and trains, though. Also, the trains I took were not the real small local ones.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 12:30 PM

I have mixed experiences with the Czech Railways. They were often late, the cars not up to modern standards and one time it was particularly bad:
A technical problem on the route Prague - Karlstejn (-Munich). No train running, we were stranded in the middle of nowhere w/o any information. Good luck I had a Czech friend travelling with me. He found a way to get us back to Prague.

I.
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

Last year we took Czech trains a few times, and found them reliable.

Since the ticket booth clerks did not always speak English, we wrote down the desired ticket details in advance, using the 24 hour clock. That way we got exactly what we wanted.

Woody
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM

Well, the Czech railways too often look like rolling junk heaps, but they run on time, or nearly so. Compared to, say, Japanese trains they're sloppy, but compared to Amtrak they are lightyears ahead.

As for the one person who got stranded between Prague and Karlstejn - that's a commuter line and trains run every 20 minutes or so during the day. Not sure how you can get stranded on that one.

Old Jul 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM

The person who got stranded was stranded together with the other passengers and all the commuters because of no electric power in the overhead contact lines. Took them an endless time to fix that, the stranded trains blocked the rail lines so no diesel-engined locomotives could be used either.