Cycling in Provence in February??

Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cycling in Provence in February??

Hi - Any advice would be most appreciated! I can only travel in February and would like to do a cycling trip - specifically through Provence... I am wondering what the weather is like in this region at this time of year? And whether it would perhaps be too unpleasant to cycle and also camp during this time ie. If it is very cold, snowy?, rainy? etc. Or is it just cool and wouldn't be too bad?
Thanks for any help!
Natalya
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:23 PM

I've never been in Provence in February so can't offer any experience there, but I can tell you that I doubt you'll find any campgrounds that are open in February. In my experience campgrounds all over France pretty much shut down for the winter, even the ones that have cabins, apartments, etc.
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

hm - thanks, I didn't think of that (this is a short-notice holiday). Do you know if there's much cheap accomodation in the region, such as Pensions and Hostels? (And what's cheap? I've never been to France!)
Old Dec 8th, 2005, 05:06 PM

There are accommodations of all prices in Provence and throughout France. What would you like to spend per night, and what part of Provence are you thinking of visiting?
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Well - I was hoping for around 40-60max euro a night, for two people. Is this remotely realistic? The cycling route is circular, going from Arles, to Carpentras, to Nimes, then Arles ...
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:17 AM

Natalya -

I wouldn't recommend a bike tour in Provence in February. On average, low daily temp is 2 degrees and high is 11. So this might be bearable. But, we can and do get a pretty nasty Mistral wind during the winter and you will regret the day you got on a bike during a winter Mistral. It can also rain or even snow here.

So come visit if you don't have a choice, but leave your bikes behind.

Accomodationg can definately be found in your price range.

Bon chance (and bon courage),
Kevin
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:37 AM

I was thinking about the mistral also. When it blows, you are VERY aware of it!! Even a lot of hotels close for the winter. YOu might search on Logis for accomodations.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Oh dear - this is a bit disheartening! I really wanted to do a cycle trip and February is the only month I can go ... are there any regions in France that would be suitable for cycling in Feb, or for that matter, anywhere in Europe?? Italy? Spain? Help/advice much appreciated! This is a hastily planned holiday as we're off back home to Oz very shortly.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Tuscany gets the same type of weather as Provence, but without the Mistral.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Hm - I posted something about cycling in Italy too (was planning to do both) and most people seem to be saying that the weather in Tuscany and Umbria could be quite unpleasant - snow, sleet, rain ... Any idea??? I don't mind the cold but I don't fancy cycling for days in the rain and/or snow.
Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Frankly, it's just the worst month of the year in Europe - everywhere in Europe. But if you're dead set on doing it, clearly the farther south you go the better chance you stand of getting some decent weather. I guess maybe Sicily or the Canary Islands.