cycling in france

Search

cycling in france

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cycling in france

Anyone got suggestions for easy cycling holiday 6/7 days in France? Nicest area to choose, best place to base yourself (cycle tracks only), etc? I would consider the guided-luggage-carried option but think I'd prefer to go my own way. I dont know where to start! There are loads of internet sites but its difficult to get really practical ideas from them.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:21 AM

I would do the Loire Valley. I had no trouble finding interesting rides every day for a week from one spot (Onzain - Chateau des Tertres hotel).

Are you going alone. IF it is a family or small group, i would consider a gite if you are going to be there saturday to saturday.

I would not limit yourself to cycle tracks. The small roads (white on a MIchelin 1:200,000 map) have very little traffic on them. There os a bike path along the Loire.

You could also consider taking a train after 3 days to another location such as Azay-le-Rideau or Chinon.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:41 AM

Hi

Check out http://gerrypatt.wordpress.com

It is the blog of a canadian exploring "Languedoc by bicycle" from his base in Montpellier.

Peter
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:54 AM

I have biked in practically every part of France and IMO you cannot go wrong anywhere - but France is rarely flat so if looking for a leisurely cycle trip yes places like the Loire Valley are great - though IMO the Loire is not really scenic but it does have a flock of great castles to bike between.

Yup as bigtyke says don't look for cycle paths as there are not many outside cities - and as he/she said the yellow roads on Michelin maps are largely well-paved and with little traffic - much better IMO than cycle paths - stick to these D (departmental) roads and by all means stay off the red or major roads that often don't have wide shoulders and are full of speeding lorries, etc.

Normandy, Burgundy's wine road, the Loire, Alsace wine roads are great but the weather in northern France can be fickle - southern France though is often more rugged but places like the Dordogne and Bordeaux are largely flat as you cycle along rivers. The Avignon-Arles-Nimes triangle is also fairly flat and with lots of fantastic places in a compact area.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 06:59 AM

I've done this sort of thing several times, Molly, twice in Provence, once in the Dordogne, each time touring with my family. The first time out I signed up for a self-guided tour with DiscoverFrance (www.discoverfrance.com); the second time with Detours in France (www.detours-in-france.com). I'd say of the two, Discover France put us in nicer places and set us up with nicer meals; I seem to recall that DF was significantly more expensive than Detours, though.

General plan was to start in one town, cycle to the next, spend a night or two, cycle to the next, etc. About fifty to seventy kilometers a day is a comfortable pace. One can arrange with the hotel to transfer your luggage to the next hotel. At your final town, hop a train back to Paris and your flight home.

The third trip, I set up myself, using maps and the internet. GoogleEarth was invaluable. The prep work of planning routes and prearranging for hotels is a bit time consuming but satisfying and fun. Bicycle rental was arranged thu Detours. I found that I saved significant money by arranging it myself...about three hundred euro a person, based on the Detours rate, by my calculation.

As BigTyke says, the small roads (departmentals) on the Michelin maps are generally quiet (even in summer) and ideal for cycling. You'll find French motorists to be courteous and forgiving to bicyclists. I found the IGN map series more useful from a cycling perspective than I did Michelin's, though. Some of the departmentals aren't terribly well marked on the ground, though...you'll find a decent compass very, very useful.

Both the Dordogne and Provence are lovely; on the whole, I think the family preferred the latter. I'd like to give the Loire a try, next time, just for the sake of variety.

Please bear with my enthusiasm for this sort of trip. Each experience has been memorable. It's a fantastic way to see France and to meet the French.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thinking of going alone (solo female) so I'll probably be looking for reasonably priced hotels or inns. Thanks for the suggestions! Coming from a drive-on-the-left frame of mind I will have to avoid trafficky roads.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM

If you don't want to bring your bike places like the Loire often have hotels that supply bikes as well - well at least in the Loire this is common. And the Loire is compact enough so that in say an Amboise base you can cycle to many nearby castles and neat places.
Old Jul 6th, 2013, 07:24 AM

We just had a brilliant trip in the Herault region in the Languedoc Roussillon. There are beaches, mountains, gorges, vineyards and historic sights to satisfy anyone. One place we loved was a small village called Cessenon sur Orb - 36 kms from Beziers and 11 kms from St Chinian. There was a lovely B & B called Maison de la Fontaine, run by a couple of really friendly Kiwis who couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful. They had secure storage for bikes as well. The king size bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in and the ensuite was very spacious. Roquebrun - up in the Haute Languedoc mountains was also worth a visit - this place is stunning! Chris & Susan had great local knowledge and we ended up staying 3 night instead of the one night we had planned. If you love wine - this is the place to be! Highly recommended!