Best of France 10 day driving tour

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of France 10 day driving tour

Hi all,
I have only been to Paris before - once for 3 days. I would like to see other places in France and would love suggestions on places to go, all within 10 days. I am thinking of doing a driving tour with my boyfriend at the end of May. Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 08:41 PM

Run, don't walk, to your nearest library or bookstore and get a copy of the Michelin Green Guide to France. In it you will find suggested itineraries and major sightseeing points. That should get you started.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:18 AM

Burgundy! and Dijon of course!
a few pictures here:
http://www.ofoto.fr/BrowsePhotos.jsp...id=43499444733
corinne
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Unfortunately, 10 days isn't really enough to see the best of the entire country. I would limit it to two regions, three *at most* and even then it would just be skimming the surface. With three regions and 10 days, I would pick
1. Normandy OR Brittany
2. Loire Valley OR Burgundy
3. Dordogne OR Provence
Personally, I would only do *one* region and explore it more in depth, but if you want just a quick overview to decide where you'd like to go back for a longer period on another trip, you could possibly fit in three regions. It would be a lot of driving though.
Last summer, we spent two weeks covering the western and central Loire Valley, then Berry. Had a great time and if we'd had another week, we would probably have added Burgundy to the itinerary. Or maybe the Alps or perhaps Brittany...they're all good!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:44 AM

Where are you arriving in France? Paris? Nice? What kind of scenery do you like and what kind of things to you want to do? What season will you be travelling in? If you give us some more information, we could give you some really good suggestions. (Having said that, I say: drive Provence!!!)
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:47 AM
ira

Hi T,

>I have only been to Paris before - once for 3 days. <

I suggest that for your 10 days you do 3 in Paris, 4 motoring in one of the regions BT suggests, 3 in Paris.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:34 AM

Having been to France and on driving tours of several parts of the country, the most memorable for sights, ambiance, beautiful weather and great food and wine was Provence. We were there in May. I agree with Ira. Spend 3 or 4 days in Paris and a week or so driving around Provence or the area that you choose after some research.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:35 AM

I agree with Ira but I like to consolidate times so there is not so much time settling back in and the added money of transport. Therefore I would suggest renting a car upon arrival, driving/visiting the places you choose for 5-6 days, return the car and spend the rest of the time in Paris.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Actually my boyfriend has not been to Paris, so we will consider Paris And Provence.

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 01:22 PM

Paris and Provence make a good combination. A couple of years ago we flew to Paris and took the TGV (high-speed train) to Avignon. You can get the train right from the airport, and rent a car at the train station in Avignon. We then spent 5 days driving around the Luberon area of Provence. Actually, we stayed in one place (Bonnieux) and took day trips.

Then we drove back to Paris via Burgundy, where we spent two nights, and ended up with 5 days in Paris. That was a wonderful trip and let us sample 3 different areas. We really didn't have long enough in Burgundy, but it was a good stopping place.

The friends who went with us traveled on to spend a few days in Normandy, but we couldn't stay that long. Anyway, here is our itinerary, if you're interested:

http://www.aultdesign.com/FrancePGA/index.htm
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM
rex

Ten days would be perfect for Normandy - - and if desirable you could afford to give up 2-4 for a little taste of Brittany or re-taste Paris (in fact, it would be okay to do 2-6-2 or 6-2-2, or the 2 Brittany in the middle of the 6 Normandy).

Best wishes,

Rex