Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bicycling in France - Dordogne, Provence, and Loire Valley

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Jeff R

Hello all,

I am interested in obtaining suggestions concerning self-guided bicycling in three regions of France: the Dordogne, Provence and the Loire Valley. Any suggestions on good base cities to work from (I am thinking Arles in Provence -- is this too urban, or is it easy to get out of town? and perhaps Vitrac or Beynac in the Dordogne, and Amboise in the Loire Valley) and bicycling routes (or sources of this information) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 08:26 AM
amy

Jeff: Why don't you look into this company:

www.randonneetours.com

This is a company that provides lodging, an itinerary, your bikes and luggage help. They just don’t go with you. I was tempted to use them for our spring 2002 trip.

Lonely Planet has a "Cycling in France"
book that might be helpful.

We have biked the Dordogne with Europeds and the Loire with Backroads. I think Beynac might be good for you in the Dordogne. Amboise was a good place for two nice bikes in the Loire.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 11:59 AM
PB

For Provence, I would suggest the St Remy area. There is a bike rental place in the village and the Tourist Office has biking routes (or they did last year - I haven't checked this year). There is a variety of terrain... so it's interesting, and you don't have to cope with the diesel fumes in the cities.

PB

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:49 PM
StCirq

Beynac and Vitrac, though not cities, would make fairly good bases to work from in the Dordogne. Le Bugue would also be a possibility as it has a fairly lengthy bike trail along the river Vézère - and is a great little town (Beynac and Vitrac, especially the latter, aren't even really towns. They have a couple of cafés and restaurants and hotels and gift shops, but no real commerce apart from tourism).

I think Amboise would be ideal in the Loire, and as PB said, St-Rémy in Provence.

I don't bicycle in the Dordogne myself (the roadkill haunts me), but loads of people do, and the local bookstores have maps and guides to bicycling routes throughout the area. If you're planning to do this in high season, though, be aware that the roads, which are for the most part narrow and twisty, are jammed with cars and caravans.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Jeff R

Thank your for the helpful information. I had come across Radonnee Tours, but will bring my own bike. May see what they can offer.

Thanks for the other helpful suggestions as well on bases. I'll take a look at St. Remy area lodging.

Jeff

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 02:11 AM
PB

Jeff,

If I can be of assistance with some lodging recommendations, just email me with an idea of your budget (I live near St Remy).

PB