Customs/Immigration in Lisbon, Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My son will be traveling in July, 2013.. He is on a United flight from Philadelphia PA, arriving in Lisbon, Portugal at 8:40 am. He has a connecting flight leaving Lisbon at 9:45am to Faro, Portugal. He is a citizen of the US and has a US passport. Does he have to clear Portugal Customs/Immigrations in LISBON or in FARO? If he has to clear in Lisbon, is ONE HOUR enough time?
Old May 5th, 2013, 02:35 PM

He will have to clear immigration in Lisbon, go to transferring flights where he will have to go through security and in Faro he will clear customs which is just wheeling his cart past a few inspectors?

I travel to Portigal twice a year and usually one can clear immigration in that time. There have been occasions when the US flight from Newark NJ has arrived just when a plane has come in from one of the former colonies in Africa and those passengers seem to slow the lines down as their documents are very carefully examined. If this happens the line just to clear immigration can be one hour. Luggage will be sent directly to Faro but there will be a line at the security check of his carry on baggage for the Faro flight and that can get rather backed up costing time.

I am assuming his flight to Faro is on TAP, partner airline with United, so I would have him speak to a United rep to see what his options would be if he misses his connection. There should be another flight to Faro later in the day but as they change them as to time of year so I cannot tell you when that would be.

He must have his ticket by your question. If he did not I would suggest as a alternative the very easy to get to and use bus down to Faro for the two hour ride.
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:42 PM

If your son arrives at the same time as flights from any of the former colonies, tell him to go to the line for EU passports. He shouldn't have any problem clearing passport control, and customs is never an issue.