Currency in Russia

Old May 17th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currency in Russia

I have some Euros from previous trips to Europe. Are they accepted in Russia?
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:46 PM
P_M

I'm posting mainly to bump you to the top, as I haven't been to Russia since the euro came along. I can tell you that in the pre-euro days some people accepted the US dollar and the German mark, but of course, it's always best to pay with local currency. If it were me, I would save the euros for your next trip to the euro-zone and use roubles in Russia.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:59 PM
J62

Last time I was in Moscow I was required to pay in $US, Deutschmark, or some other 'hard' currency whereever I shopped, under the watchful eye of the local tour guide.

Of course that was back in the days of Yuri Andropov, and a lot has changed since then.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Depends what it's for. If it's unofficial (taxi etc) they will probably take them - but soak you. For official purchses you muse use either credit cards or rubles.

(Tourist hard currency stores may still exist - but I can;t imagine what the prices may be.) We had to use rubles for all cash transactions except cabs.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:11 PM

You may be able to use them, however the exchane rate will be poor. The only legal currency is the rouble. The easiest way to get roubles is from ATMs.
Old May 17th, 2006, 06:15 PM

The Ruble is of course the official currency and no other currency is supposed to be accepted, but it is unlikely you would be arrested if you tried to pay with Euros. However, I would not bother, or you could bring them and exchange them for Rubles at an money changer or bank. You could use them at some smaller shops, restaurants or possibly with a taxi, but they will give you poor exchange rate, and will give you change back in Rubles. This means what you buy will end up costing you more. You could not use them to pay a hotel bill (at least I very much doubt the hotel would want them, maybe they would take them, again at a poor rate and with change in Rubles). Using them to pay for purchases is just like exchanging them with a bank at a very poor rate, you are better off doing it yourself at a better rate at a money changer or a bank.