Rubles to Euros or CH Francs

Old Nov 14th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rubles to Euros or CH Francs

Do you know if the airport in Paris or the banks in Geneva would be able to acccept the Russian money? Thanking all in advance. Vicky
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Russian rubles can be exchanged in Russia only.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Oh crap! Didn't have time in St. Petersburg to get rid of them. But I thank you for the information. Maybe I will meet some Russians in Zermat who could exchange them. Or is that against the law?
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 03:45 AM
ira

Hi b,

>Maybe I will meet some Russians in Zermat who could exchange them. Or is that against the law?<

It is not against the law to engage in a private transaction.

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Most of the information regarding Russian rubles on the Internet is out of date. As of July 1, 2006, the Russian ruble has become fully convertible, meaning (among other things) that legally banks can exchange the Russian ruble as they would any other major currency. It still is problematic in some currency exchanges or banks to do this (and the rate often is pretty bad). In Geneva, try UBS and in Paris, try SocGen.

That does not mean that many banks inventory Russian rubles. Specifically in the US, Bank of America does inventory rubles in some locations (and can supply them quickly). We are still recommending to clients to convert their currency into rubles (or use an ATM) when they arrive in Moscow or St Petersburg, and to use the excess rubles when paying down their hotel bill at the end of the trip.

Incidentally, starting January 1, 2007, prices in Russia will be advertised only in Russian rubles, not US$, Euros, or conditional units (a blended rate).

As for private transactions, we generally recommend against doing them, and I know many people who would be surprised if approached.
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Mark David Miller!!! I will go to B of A tomorrow and see what they say. Vicky