Cruising Norway coast in early November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2023, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My husband and I have an unplanned opportunity to travel to Norway the first week of November. He will be working in Sweden partially, and we are interested in possibly pairing this with a 3-4day cruise along Norway's coastline. I understand there are ferries that offer primitive but comfortable experiences and I am hoping some of you will have advice for us on:
- I have found Hurtigruten and Havila as 2 lines - does anyone have a comparison or are there others we should consider?
- If we only have time for 3-4day cruise, what section of the coast would you say is most scenic? It appears the Northern Lights may be visible this time of year if we go further north such as a trip from Trondheim to Tromso? The fjord section around Tromso looks magnificent!
- Is there any difference to a northbound trip vs southbound trip?
- Is train or air the best form of travel to the fjord region?
- We understand this time of year can be cold and rainy (maybe foggy too?) so if cruising is a bad idea let us know.

We are an active early 50s couple, so winter sports for excursions would be fantastic for us!

Thanks much for your expertise!

Chris and Dave
Old Oct 6th, 2023, 10:47 AM

Train from Oslo to Trondheim, 6.5 hours, is more scenic, plane is faster.
Old Oct 28th, 2023, 09:09 AM

Hello!

The "cruise" along the coast with Hurtigruten av Havila may be nice, but it's also a transport route for goods, and it's not designed to take you to the most picturesque or scenic places. It is, at least originally, a ferry. In the major ports you will mostly get to see exactly that: The port. Not always the main attraction of a town. You will also be "stuck" on the boat, so even if you see something interesting you may not be able to do more than look at it from far away.

I recommend renting a car instead, if you are used to driving in winter.

You don't mention where in Sweden you will start from, and Norway is a long country. Driving from the south to the north takes 30-40 hours.

Old Oct 28th, 2023, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the major ports you will mostly get to see exactly that: The port
Not true. Hurtigruten runs tours in major ports, or you can DIY. See my reports on Bergen to Kirkenes:

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...e-kong-harald/
https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...under-the-sun/
https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...under-the-sun/

Or see here for current Hurtigruten excursions: https://global.hurtigruten.com/excursions/

I believe someone recently posted a report on Havila.
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 11:32 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough, but I mean that when you arrive in a town on a cruise ship you will arrive at the port. The port is not usually the most interesting part of the town.

Take Lekes/Gravdal in Lofoten: There is nothing of interest near the "cruise port", so a bus or car is needed to get anywhere.
Old Nov 10th, 2023, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course the port itself is usually not interesting but that doesn't mean you have to stay there. Any more than you have to stay at a train station, although they are often impressive buildings.