Cruising the Fjords of Norway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2019, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are cruising the Fjords 31/5/2019 - 9/6/2019. We will be stopping at Bergen, Geiranger, Molde, Olden, Alesund, Stavanger. Our cruise ship are offering trips at each stop (which are not cheap). Has anyone visited these places and if so are they easy to get around on our own, to see the relevant sites at each place or would you recommend booking the ships trips?
Also, when visiting these ports, would I need Norwegian Krones in cash or are cedit/debit cards ok?
Any advice would be great, thanks
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 09:52 AM

The cruise terminal for Bergen is a bit out of town, but it is still walkable, albeit a long walk. Molde and Alesund you can easily do on your own. Not familiar with the cruise stop in Stavanger but you can probably walk that too.
I don't know what the excursions offer over walking - Molde is a small town, as is Aesund, so maybe the excursions take you further afield than jjust the town.
I never bought anything when ashore so can't say about credit/debit card versus Krone, but I imagine most places accept plastic.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 10:14 AM

I suspect that the Geiranger option is to take a bus to the top of the fjord for a nice view. The town can be done in 20 minutes on your own.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 03:09 PM

Bergen do on your own - Fløibanen funicular up the mountain and the fish market
Geiranger - you need a tour to Dalsnibba or Trollstigen
Molde - small town not so interesting - what's on offer? Tour to Trollstigen?
Olden - small town - take the trip to the glacier
Ålesund do on your own - nice town rebuilt in Jugendstyle if you are in to architecture - walk up the mountain for the view.
Stavanger - possible to do the Pulpit rock hike or Lysefjord cruise on your own.
Most places have a tourist office site in the style VisitBergen.no - for Stavanger https://www.regionstavanger-ryfylke.com/
Book activities early - they get swamped when there is a cruise ship in town.
Credit/debit accepted everywhere - no need for cash.
Old Mar 15th, 2019, 07:52 PM

We visited some of these places on a cruise in 2017. With Bergen we just walked around the town, took the funicular, visited a museum and part of the old fortress.

I pre-booked two bus trips in Geiranger. The first one went way up into the mountains to Dalsnibba with an incredible view down to the fjord. The second one went to Eagle Road - another fantastic view of the fjord from the other direction.

In Alesund we just walked around, but I wish we’d taken the HOHO bus or little train up the hill for the view. By the time I thought about doing it they were all booked out as there was another ship in port as well as ours.

We just walked around Stavanger and went to the church and Petroleum museum. I didn’t enjoy the museum but my husband loved it.

Our ship’s tours were ridiculously expensive and we saved a lot by organizing our own. We hardly ever had to use cash as cards were accepted everywhere.

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 07:46 AM

Interested to know which cruise line you are using.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 03:07 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Enjoying reading these comments. At the very beginning stages of planning a trip.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by achay
Interested to know which cruise line you are using.
All cruise companies more or less do the same itinerary.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 03:10 PM

Any recommendation on cruise line and YOUR favorite time of year to go?
Thinking about going for a one week trip. Not really a cruise person and not a fan of giant ships.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 03:43 PM

We cruised the Norwegian coast in early June and were lucky enough to have great weather all the way. Round trip cruise on the Rotterdam out of Rotterdam - nice ship, from memory about 2000 passengers. It was a two week cruise, about seven ports, and I think Holland America are still offering the same cruise.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by starrs
Any recommendation on cruise line and YOUR favorite time of year to go?
Thinking about going for a one week trip. Not really a cruise person and not a fan of giant ships.
In one week you can do a lot by car if you are willing to drive on steep and narrow roads.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 03:58 PM

I don't mind steep and narrow roads.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by starrs
I don't mind steep and narrow roads.
You might want to take a look at my trip report. It's been a while, but the mountains and fjords don't change that much.

The bus system from town to town in the mountainous area along the coast is another option, but it does not necessarily stop at a nice viewpoint.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 04:42 PM

No, I'd rather drive it myself than take the bus.

Thanks. I'll check out your report.
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 11:42 PM

Achay

I wasn’t notified of your question at the time. Now today I get a notification! You probably won’t see this but it was the Koningsdam, a Holland America ship. We went in early June and had a bit of wet weather but also quite a lot of sunny days. I don’t think they stop in Geiranger any more, which is a pity as I thought it had the most stunning scenery.

We didn't want to drive and I researched using trains and Hurtigruten boats but chose a standard cruise for ease as I have walking difficulties. We were very happy with the cruise which was our first one ever, but there were two sea days in a row coming back from North Cape and we got quite bored on those.