Search

30 days portugal itinerary feedback

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2023, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 days portugal itinerary feedback

Hello,
First, I would like to thank all of you who take the time to help out on these forums. It is very helpful and appreciated!

My husband and I (ages 60 and 56) are planning 30 days in Portugal in April 2024. We are in good physical shape, love to explore small towns, nature, beaches, history, slo-travel. My husband loves to surf in small waves, thus the stops in Ericeira for some beach and surf time ...and Nazare just as a point of interest. (not to surf).
We will rent a car and are looking for a somewhat leisurely travel pace.

Are we attempting too much in this time frame?
Do we need to book all of our accomodations in advance? We would like to be able to change our plans if we want to stay longer in a certain area but am wondering if that is too risky in April? (I've always booked in advance so this would be a first). We don't need luxury hotels, just a clean and comfortable stay is what we are looking for.

2 nights Lisbon: We will return here at the end of our trip for a couple more days of sightseeing.
3 nights Evora: day trips to Monsaraz, Vila Vicosa, Estremos.
1 night Marvao/Castel de Vide: because continuing straight to Belmonte might be too long a day?
1 night Belmonte: via trancoso.
3 nights Lamego or Vila Real or Amarante. I'm wondering which is a good base to wander through the Duoro Valley for a few days before continuing to Guimaraes.
2 nights Guimaraes:
1 night: Arcos de Valdevez: via Braga, Ponte de Barca, Soajo,
3 nights Porto: via ponte de Lima, Vila Nova de Cerveira, Caminha
2 nights Coimbra via Aveiro and costa Nova
1 night in Tomar: visit Alcobaca, and or Batalha
1 night Nazare: visit Obidos, Peniche
4 nights in Ericerira: visit surrounding breaches, surf and relaxation.
1 night in Sines: because driving straight to the Algarve is too long a drive?
4 nights in Tavira or Salema
2 or 3 nights Lisbon: day trips to Cascais sintra etc..

We are open to reducing the amount of stops if there is a base town we could use for day trips if it makes sense.

Any feedback will be appreciated,
Thanks!
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I still book in May in the morning for that night (maybe a day early at the weekend)

Why so many moves? This is not leisurely this is a route march

Why are you using a car?

I'd go back to the drawing board with cp.pt and seat61.com or even rome2rio and replan. Remember in Portugal the open hours are different and you can travel around on train at many times of the day. More to the point you can drink and catch the train. You might need a car to get to some surf beaches, then hire it for just then.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 08:05 AM

I would go to both Batalha and Alcobaca as both are lovely destinations. We did overnight in Batalha at a modern business hotel literally across the street with a view of the monastery and had both a nice dinner and nice breakfast the next morning. We had done a loop around with a very long day of driving having left Evora stopping at Castel de Vide and Marvao, wouldn't do that drive again and I probably wouldn't return to Marvao actually. While charming to walk around the area seemed to be primarily for people renovating the white buildings as second homes. I didn't head north from Guimares, a lovely spot and very interesting and to me very reminiscent of places like Rouen and other northern cities but I understand that the Northern Coast is very interesting as well. We did a stop at Alcobaca on our way back to Lisbon from Porto, followed by a stop at Obidos before returning our rental car at the airport and heading into Lisbon for a few days.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 08:07 AM

Lora613,
First of all, 30 days in Portugal is my kind of perfect! Good for you. Since you'll be there after Easter (a very busy time for tourism), you "might" wing it in certain areas, but I would highly encourage you not to do so. Tourism is absolutely booming this year all over the country, setting records, and I personally would want to secure lodging in advance in most places.

Some thoughts:
Since you have allocated 4 nights at the lovely beach town of Ericeira for rest and relaxation, I wouldn't drive all the way to the Algarve for 4 more nights of the same. Why?
While the Algarve is fine for both (r & r), it really isn't representative of Portugal in terms of all the historical sights than you can enjoy elsewhere in your month-long stay.

At that time the Algarve will be full of snowbirds, Northern Europeans and Canadians, enjoying the warmer weather and the lower prices, but it doesn't have the wealth of quaint villages and historical sights you'll find elsewhere.
I honestly would skip the long 4+ drive south from Ericeira and put those 4 valuable nights (5 with the night in industrial Sines) elsewhere to avoid so many one night stays. (I admit that I dislike many one nighters.)

Where would I put those 5 nights? I'd add 2 to Tomar, making it 3, to use as a base for a trip to Nazaré (it won't be "big wave" season there), or Alcobaça, Batalha, the Templars' castle of Almoural, the aqueduct of Pegōes, Obidos (for 2 hours, early before the tour buses arrive)...whatever appeals. It will be more restful, I think, to have a base to come "home to" after a long day of monument touring.

I would add to Guimarães in the Minho (one of my 2 favorite regions) and use it as a base to visit some of the Minho towns you've listed----Arcos de Valdevez, Braga, Ponte de Barca, Soajo, Ponte de Lima, Vila Nova de Cerveira, Caminha at the border (I think hitting them all will be tough)...You can't hit all of the last 3 on your way to Porto ("via....") without seriously shortchanging your time in Porto. Just my thoughts....the Minho will be less touristed, however.

I'd also add a night in Coimbra so that you can visit the Conímbriga Roman ruins outside of the city and perhaps Aveiro (easy by train) and still have time to do Coimbra justice.

I agree with 1 night in Marvão to enjoy it and Castelo da Vide. I loved my visits to Marvão for its very dramatic mountain scenery, its incredible perch high, high above in the Serra, a true eagle's nest (liked it more than Monsaraz as it seemed far more remote and untouched) than Monsaraz. We didn't mind the drive up and have done it twice and would happily do it again but spending the night at the Dom Dinis.
Progol has some wonderful photos of her stay there, so be sure to look up her terrific Trip Report. Her photos of this highly dramatic medieval fortress town bordering Spain are stunning.

But from Marvão to Belmonte you won't pass through Trancoso ("via..."), since it's a 50 min. to an hour drive north.

As to the best base for the Douro, the closest of your 3 choices would be Lamego, but it isn't set on the river. The Douro visit is all about wine touring, photography, the train ride along the river on the Linha do Douro or a boat ride upriver to Tua, and some hiking. Vila Real is a tad too far north for those activities and Amarante, as pretty as it is, is the gateway to the valley but not in the valley. For those activities (you may or may not want to do), it would be more convenient, make more sense to base in (Peso da) Régua or tiny Pinhão. The prettiest part of the river valley, the most dramatic scenery, is found east of Régua, where the most prestigious port producing wineries sit.

Lodging is at a premium most of the year (save winter) in the Douro, especially at the quintas with scenic views of the river, so I would venture there certainly with reservations and secure them soon.

Just some ideas...

For all of the places on your wish list you actually should have a car.

edited to add,
This is progol's fantastic photographic trip report---plus she had some lovely places to stay; she chose very well!
Portugal at last!

and poster mike1728 is a big Ericeira fan.

Last edited by Maribel; Nov 11th, 2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank You Maribel! That was very helpful info!
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 09:29 AM

You're welcome, lora613,

I would just add that with all the new flights inaugurated by Easy Jet and other carriers to Portugal, tourism will be booming even more.

But...I'm a planner by heart and wouldn't wait until the day ahead to secure lodging. I would do my research on booking.com now to see exactly what's available at this point in your price range and according to your other parameters for all of your destinations and your dates, especially in the smaller towns like Marvão and Belmonte.

Evora is also very busy in the spring. And it's a popular weekend destination for Lisboetas.
Ericeira has become a very popular destination for digital nomad surfers. It's a cool destination.

And if you haven't already, make sure to look at Julie Dawn Fox's informative blog for all of your proposed destinations. There is a treasure trove of info from her there.
For example, about Ponte de Lima
https://juliedawnfox.com/charming-ponte-da-lima/

and Coimbra
https://juliedawnfox.com/things-to-do-coimbra/

and Tomar
https://juliedawnfox.com/things-to-do-in-tomar/

The dates for the 2024 Ponte de Lima outdoor market, held every second Monday, aren't up yet, but if your dates in the Minho coincide, it's a treat for the senses. It's huge. This year in April it was held on April 8 and 24. I love Ponte de Lima.

Viana do Castelo for me is far more interesting and far prettier than very Vila Nova de Cerveira and Caminha right at the border (I've visited both), so I would prioritize that from a base in Guimarães. It's a charming town, another "jewel of the Minho", in which you could spend that time, I think, happily without venturing further towards the Spanish border.
So...I would visit Viana do Castelo or Ponte de Lima from a Guimarães base and not attempt hitting the rest, as both are charming towns worth your time.
Again, from Julie Dawn Fox
https://juliedawnfox.com/things-to-d...na-do-castelo/

I envy your 30 nights in Portugal!

Last edited by Maribel; Nov 11th, 2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

I will work on securing all my reservations as soon as i finish my itinerary.
Is a drive from Marvao to Pinhao with stops in Belmonte and Trancoso too much in one day? I'm wondering if Belmonte and Trancoso are worth a visit?

Last edited by Lora613; Nov 11th, 2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 10:44 AM

If you're keenly interested in the Jewish heritage of Belmonte, I would spend the night. Otherwise, I would skip it. The drive from Marvão to Pinhão would take 4 hours without stops. That's a bit too much for me. I certainly wouldn't include in that drive a stop in Belmonte and Trancoso---way, way too much.

I've only driven to Pinhão from Porto (several times) and from Coimbra via Viseu.