Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Crown Plaza Amsterdam City Centre or the Mercure Arthur Frommer - Which Would You Choose and Why?

Search

Crown Plaza Amsterdam City Centre or the Mercure Arthur Frommer - Which Would You Choose and Why?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am undecided. Does anyone have an opinion?
Thanks.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:06 PM

Crown Plaza - http://www.epinions.com/content_94268460676

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hey, Charlie,

We stayed there twice in 2002 and really liked it. The opinion given in epinions.com is not correct, though. That person was writing an opinion on the Crowne Plaza American, not the one at City Centre. The City Centre hotel is not old and quaint. It is relatively modern. In my opinion, that was the only downside part about it. Let me tell you what I liked:

The rooms were huge by European standards. It had a great bathroom. The complimentary breakfast was more than you could hope for. There's a pub in the hotel that does have that old world feel -- lots of wood, good drinks, decent spicy tidbits.

The indoor pool is a really welcome extra, along with one of the better saunas we came across (including Scandinavia).

Right outside you can catch any number of trams to other areas. It's also a 5 minute walk to Central Station, to Anne Frank's House, and to the Red Light district on the other side of Central Station.

There's also a little souvenir, snack, drink shop inside and the owner is a really nice guy, speaks English better than I do, and has some wonderful pottery both in that shop and in his shop down the street. They also ship to the states at a good price.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:41 PM

Twenty-five (?) years ago, I stayed at the Arthur Frommer before Mercure took it over and liked it. In April 2002, we had a triple room there that was very small. I got it through an Internet Agency and wondered if they gave us the worst in the house because of that. I would not stay there again. Location and breakfast are o.k., but not great.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Surfergirl and Boots, thanks for the replies. It sounds as though Crown Plaza might be the better choice.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 05:29 AM
sandi

We also stayed at the Crowne Plaza City Center and were very pleased. Large room with 2-Queen-sized beds, some are split-level. Breakfasts were great, short walk to Central Station and dock for canal cruises. We walked leisurely to the Anne Frank House and back around thru Dam Square where there were many restaurants and a large supermarket.

Next day the tram outside the hotel got us to the Rikesmuseum and the VanGogh. In the evening took the tram back for a concert - they are great for getting around. Also just as easy to walk many places.

And right around the corner a street with restaurants galore, just pick and you'll be fed well.

A lovely city for a stop-over or longer stay, very eclectic and easy to navigate. Next morning we were off to Kenya

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Sandi, thanks for the thumbs up. The Crown Plaza definitely seems to be the better idea.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:47 AM

I echo the votes for the Crowne Plaza City Centre. I have stayed there on numerous occasions in a variety of room layouts - all have been large and quiet. The location is great and the staff have always been very friendly with the hotel being very well run. As already stated the pool and sauna are a real bonus after a day site seeing.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 06:55 AM

I think the Crowne Plaza is several notches on the class scale up from the Arthur Frommer. In the Northwest World Vacations brochure, the Mercure is listed as superior tourist class, as opposed to superior first class for the CP.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM

I've stayed in both of them and martytravels is exactly right about the differences in class between the Mercure Arthur Frommer and the Crowne Plaza City Centre. The Arthur Frommer is in an area that is fairly convenient to Leiseplein and not terribly far from the Rijksmuseum. It is on a very narrow, one-way street that is very quiet but you will find plenty of activity within a few blocks. We found it to be well-kept and a good value. There is a first floor room on the corner that is really quite nice, with 14 ft. ceilings and large floor-to-ceiling drapes that I would especially recommend.

The Crowne Plaza is a full-service "western style" hotel, complete with an indoor pool and a club floor. It is located on an active street within walking distance of Centraal Station. If you can get it at a decent rate, then that would easily be the better choice, in my view. If not, the Mercure Arthur Frommer is a perfectly servicable property and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Martytravels and Flyboy: Thanks for the responses. I have definitely decided to go with the Crowne Plaza. Flyboy, the pool and sauna does sound like a real treat (which I have never experienced before in Europe - I usually go for the smaller European hotels).
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
They also provide towels for you to use in the pool area, so you don't need to bring the ones from your room. You can use one of those to towel dry your swimsuit, then dry it out completely in your bathroom the last night you're there.