Crowds in France during World Cup

Jan 13th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Crowds in France during World Cup

Hello!

My family and I are thinking about doing a trip to France this summer ... turns out it is during World Cup and Tour de France. We could work around traveling to the particular places the events are taking place ... dodge specific dates, but wanted to find out from people who either live in France or have maybe traveled during this time and these events, how crowded will France be ... not only the specific event areas but all of France with people traveling either after or before the games/race?

Our “very rough draft” route (in no particular order at this point) would be fly into Paris, Versailles/Disneyland Paris (for the kids), Strasbourg, Colmar, French Alps, Dijon/Beaune, a sprinkling of the Loire Valley and fly out of Paris. Our daughters are 8 and 11 and are well traveled so pace of trip, etc, I am not concerned with.

We keep going back and forth between doing France this summer or waiting until next summer and going elsewhere this summer. My instinct is telling me to wait, but I think I may be hoping for some sort of validation that France will be crazy this summer with World Cup.

Thank you!
Jan 13th, 2019, 12:34 PM

France absorbs a huge number of tourists every year and frankly, sporting events do not change the situation all that much. Every month has busy times whether for "tourist season" or the huge number of trade fairs, conventions and other commercial events. The two calmest months in Paris are February and August. The two busiest months are July and September.
Jan 13th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kerouac. We typically travel in July and we’re thinking this year maybe end of June in to July, but I don’t think that would make much of a difference. Based on your response, my husband gets 1 point in his pocket for voting that we still go. Lol. Thank you again for your thoughts!
Jan 13th, 2019, 01:52 PM

We are in France often for the TdF & the World Cup. Often for key WC matches, large screens are set up in city/town squares so the crowds can watch. Bars with TVs are quite crowded and "rowdy" also. We were near Quimper last year the day the TdF had a stage which ended in Quimper. There was really no impact on us - we just had to make sure that we didn't plan to have dinner in Quimper that night, or go there far a day trip. However, the routes for the TdF are blocked off many hours before the race goes through them. Often, areas which are surrounded by the TdF routes, are "isolated". Once we had to stay in/near our gite near Foix all day because we were completely surrounded by closed roads. Last year we had to carefully plan our day trip to Locronon because the TdF went through Locronan later in the day & we were worried that we would not get back to our gite in time for dinner. We needed to travel on roads we had not planned to travel on to avoid the TdF. We had to skip some planned stops because of the TdF. If you will be near a TdF route, buy a TdF magazine from a Tobac and get a rough idea of where the TdF will travel. Several days in advance they post signs along the closed roads, which indicate the dates & times of road closings.

But if you will not be near any of the TdF routes, it will have no impact on you at all.

Stu Dudley
Jan 13th, 2019, 01:54 PM

That's the Woman's World Cup which I would think attracts a fraction of the Men's World Cup. Are you driving or taking trains? Car I presume but if trains let us know.
Jan 13th, 2019, 01:55 PM

I’ve been in Paris multiple times during the Tour de France - doesn’t affect me at all except one would be wise to avoid the Champs Élysées area on final day ( obviously) as there are bleachers set up and crowds - however in other parts of Paris it’s a non issue .
Have also been in Paris for the World Cup and that was a blast - didn’t affect our sightseeing etc , but bars had the games on and crowds were enthusiastic! Lots of fun ( and seemed family friendly too )

you didnt ask but i will warn you , having been to Versailles many many times , including visits with my children ( 11 and 13 at time of their visits ) the Palace is a nightmare for them ( for everyone really ) my 11 yr old daughter felt overwhelmed as she mostly saw nothing but people’s backs and elbows in her face ( yes it can be that bad as you move along a narrow route through palace ) ! The grounds are nice and kids love seeing Marie Antoinette’s hamlet - but I’d think long and hard about putting an 8 yr old through that palace mosh pit !!!
Jan 13th, 2019, 01:58 PM

I've been there for a couple World Cups and several Tour de France. As for that one, I never gave it much thought, it doesn'ty make any difference except for particular points on the route when they go by. Or in Paris at the finale, around the Champs-Elysees and their route. Even in the rest of Paris that day, doesn't matter. That happens every year, millioons of people don't go to France to watch a bicycle race.

The World Cup is something I try to avoid as if they win, that particular night is very rowdy and noisy, probably in any major city. Not sure if they lose, I've only been there when they won for the finale. For some games during the finals, some trains can get very very full with people going back home from the city where the match was held. If you weren't on the train, wouldn't matter. And I mean full where people are standing in the aisles with no seats (this was a TER where I guess they allow that).
Jan 13th, 2019, 02:05 PM

I just wish that the Women's World Cup were really as busy as these crowd 'horror' stories that the others are telling. Maybe some day we will reach that point.

Frankly, I would be interested in witnessing hordes of rowdy women sports fans. As it is, we don't even have hen parties in France.

Last edited by kerouac; Jan 13th, 2019 at 02:08 PM.
Jan 13th, 2019, 02:10 PM

Right they must think the World Cup is only for men - but men's cups only come in 4-yr intervals I believe - last one in 2016 and next in 2020.

It will be a long time before huge TV screens are set up in public squares and bars are rowdy.
Jan 13th, 2019, 02:12 PM

If your children really want to see part of Palace and you want to avoid crowds and lines then book the Kings Apartment tour online on Versailles own website( you book a timed entry slot ) - private group of 20-25 - and you go through parts of Palace not open to public , so no crowds - you can then choose to proceed with rest of Palace ( the mosh pit ) or then exit to grounds and other buildings !
Jan 13th, 2019, 04:34 PM

If going to Versailles your kids may love renting bikes with you and cycling thru the vast park - over to Marie Antoinette's neat Le Hameau (sp?) - an oasis where she allegedly played a peasant girl and seek refuge in to escape pressures of being queen and its demands.

You all may also like to rent boats to navigate the long straight water basin in the park.
Jan 13th, 2019, 05:13 PM

We visited Versailles twice this past Sept/Oct. Once to just visit the gardens on a Sat in late Sept, and another time to take the Kings Apt tour first thing in the morning on a week day in October. Saturday in Sept, there was a line perhaps 2 1/2 hrs long to get into the interior of the Palace. There is a separate entrance to get into the garden area, so we did not need to stand in this line. For the week day special King's apt tour in Oct, there was a separate entrance & therefor no line at all. After the Kings apt tour, we then toured the remainder of the Palace. It was shoulder-to-shoulder people - in October. It was no fun at all. Actually, we learned much more about the Palace and saw more neat stuff on the guided King's Apt tour than we did on the remainder of the Palace which we toured by ourselves - accompanied by thousands of other tourist. If I had to do it again, I would just do the King's Apt guided tour and the Hall of Mirrors only in the remainder of the Palace. Then do the Garden tour on a week end when the fountains are flowing (specific times last year because of the drought).

Stu Dudley
Jan 14th, 2019, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful responses! We have decided to save France for another summer free of either a men’s or women’s World Cup. Both of my daughters play year round soccer so I am sure they would love to experience a game in France. We are now looking at Denmark and The Netherlands. Maybe Sweden, but may save that for another trip in conjunction with Norway as this trip we only have about 16-17 days.
Jan 14th, 2019, 09:51 AM

>>Thank you for all the helpful responses! We have decided to save France for another summer free of either a men’s or women’s World Cup.<<

That's odd. Everyone responded that the Woman's World Cup (and even the Mens) would be no problem. Same with the TdF. If the "other summer" is next year, then you have the Men's World cup with more crowds.

Stu Dudley
Jan 14th, 2019, 10:02 AM

Maybe they decided based on other reasons. I've been in Germany during a World Cup, also, same thing, lots of people watching the game on a big jumbotron in a central area, noisy crowds when they win, etc. In France, I just made sure I wasn't in the city where the final was being held on that day. I remember being in Strasbourg when they won one World Cup and of course, that night everybody was out in the crowds and it was noisy.
Jan 14th, 2019, 10:15 AM

Same as in the US. When the SF Giants won the 2014 World Series, there was a huge jumbotron set up in Civic Center Plaza. Fans partied all night after the dramatic win. But only people seeking out chaos and some excitement (if they are a Giants fan) would go near Civic Center Plaza on that day. California is not that much smaller than France, and I would not expect anyone to avoid all of California when the World Series is playing and the Giants or another Calif team is a participant.

Stu Dudley
Jan 14th, 2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by StuDudley View Post
Same as in the US. When the SF Giants won the 2014 World Series, there was a huge jumbotron set up in Civic Center Plaza. Fans partied all night after the dramatic win. But only people seeking out chaos and some excitement (if they are a Giants fan) would go near Civic Center Plaza on that day. California is not that much smaller than France, and I would not expect anyone to avoid all of California when the World Series is playing and the Giants or another Calif team is a participant.
Stu Dudley
I'm not suggesting that anyone avoid anything, however, I don't think that comparing visiting California when 1 of the 5 California MLB teams playing in or winning the World Series with visiting France during the World Cup is an appropriate comparison. Just totally different. Your point is that the whole of California is not really impacted by 1 of the 5 teams playing in the World Series and that is similar to the whole of France not being affected by the World Cup. Totally disagree with this comparison.
Jan 14th, 2019, 05:43 PM

I happened to be in Paris last summer during the World Cup Soccer final game. I don't think the city was overcrowded because of the event. However, watching the game with 90,000 people at the Eiffel Tower was one of the best experiences in my life.
Jan 15th, 2019, 12:50 AM

I was in Paris for during the Euro 2016 Cup, and the only thing we noticed was a cool soccer display by the Eiffel Tower.

I think you are changing your plans for no valid reason. Some of our family were a little concerned due to terrorism at events, and I am wondering if that's your worry too but you'd prefer not to say.

There were more police present, not less. And we were never near the venue of an actual game. The Eiffel Tower has viewing parties at night, but we were there in the morning. So we didn't ever see the supposed crowds. There were a lot of people in the Metro stations at rush hour. And a fair crowd in front of Notre Dame when we left. But nothing extreme even there.
Jan 15th, 2019, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

To clarify since I think there is a bit of confusion with my initial question ... we simply were curious about the “additional number of tourists” that the Women’s Cup would bring to France. A game is not being held in the Loire, but will people attending the games be apt to travel before and/or after the games visiting the more popular areas of France? I think it’s highly likely they would be so we were curious to know from people who either live in France or who have traveled during a World Cup year when France is the host, how much more crowded is it than an off summer with no WC? We travel to Europe just about every summer so have the flexibility to visit France if need be another year. It’s really not a do or die situation. . Thank you to those of you with helpful responses! They are very much appreciated.

Search this Thread