Croatia questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Croatia questions

Boy, Croatia is a difficult country to
get accommodations in unless you stay
each place 3-4 nights. We will be in Plitvicka Lakes 2 nights as we have reserved there. Our original plan was to drive from there to Dubrovnik area,
either staying at Zaton Mali area or Cavtat. (Would appreciate some opinions
about these two areas)Spend 3-4 nights
than move up the coast to Trogir 3 nights, than to Istra. We thinl Rovinj
for 2-3 nights.
I,m not sure about weather we can drive
Plitvicka to Dubrovnik one day?
But since everyone seems to want 3 days
or a big % increase it makes stopping
in Makarska Rivera a problem.
Maybe someone can give us some words of advise here. Wehave seen some images of the Villa Gagula in Cavtat and they looked very inviting.
Thanks for any help
Norsky
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 06:42 AM

What time of year are you going? We were there in May/June of last year and stayed in several places for less than 3 nights.

I think 3 days in Trogir is a day too long. It is a lovely LITTLE island that you can cover on foot in 1/2 a day but it is a great place to chill out for a bit just drinking in the atmosphere. From Trogir you could do a day trip to split easily.

I also think that one night at Plitvice is enough.

Driving all the way from Plitvice to Dubrovnik is a very long drive.

I would recommend looking for private accomodations called Sobe. These usually are a ttached to a home and have a private entrance and bathroom.

In trogir we stayed at Apartment Bakica. it was perfect and the price was very reasonable! If you do a web search you will find that it comes up easily.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 07:16 AM

I've only been to Croatia outside the peak season (mid-July to end-August), but I've never had any problems finding accommodation for one night or more. I've stayed in hotels and in private rooms ("sobe&quot, in some cases booked through tourist offices or travel agencies, and in other cases booked directly.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Hello Eurotraveller,
We will be there fron Aug 20 to Aug31.
We are coming down from Szeged, Hungary
and will be staying at Plitvice 2 nights. When we arrive late it lets us have a full day in the area than we stay again and are rested to go to the next region. And YES, I think it is too much to drive to Dubrovnik in that next day. We want to enjoy it, and being HIGH season it will be slow I'm sure. I think I will have to "wing-it"
for that 1 night. That would be tuesday
the 23rd. Most likely just south of Split. I would have used Trogir, but we think that would be a good base on the way back up north to see island Hvar and Trogir. From there we will do Istra, Than on up through Slovenia.
Have given some thought to saying 2 days near the border of Slovenia and Italy and do a day trip to Venice.
We have been there one other time. Now it is so expensive to stay there that one day may be OK. I know all Venice lovers will shudder at that , but hey, you cant do it all!!
BTW from what I'm seeing on the internet and hearing from others, Cavtat, is the place to stay. (Dubrovnik)
Thanks for the tip on Apartment Bakica,
It always helps when others are happy with their accommodations. Web sites can be deceiving!
Norsky
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Norsky, have you done a search on this site for "Croatia"? If so, did you read the two part trip report I posted and the link to my photos? If not you might want to do that. We also loved Rab Town or Rab Island.

I fell in love with Croatia and would go back again in a heartbeat. That is, after I visit all the other countries on my list!

I enjoyed staying right within the walls in Dubrovnik. I have heard that Cavtat is a nice little place but I didn't visit. I prefer being in the heart of a city rather than on the outskirts.

Good luck with your planning and let me know if you have more questions.