Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Zagreb to Dubrovnik 16 days..itinerary suggestions?

Zagreb to Dubrovnik 16 days..itinerary suggestions?

Feb 19th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Zagreb to Dubrovnik 16 days..itinerary suggestions?

Hello all,
Back again to ask for good itinerary recs.

One or two couples (brother and his wife may surely join us), late 40's, early 50 ish; physically fit, adventurous, love food and wine, biking, maybe sailing, diving, definitely like exploring charming towns, not big on shopping, hate the smell of tour busses but don't want to miss the "don't miss" places...prefer 3 or more day stays interspersed with overnighters where warranted.

I hope for stays in attractive accommodations with a/c and a view, walking distance to "good food and libations" --- 150 - 225 US$ nite for 2 max, I'm fine with private, or b/b if there's kitchen and bath, etc... hotels are fine if small along the lines of boutique. I realize that in some locations we might have to pay more...

June 3, arrive Zagreb mid morning/early afternoon. Renting car for entire trip.
June 18, air departure out of Dubrovnik back to U.S.

Is it impossible to "do" some Istria, Plitvice, Split, Hvar and area islands, and Dubrovnik with day trip to Montnegro? If so, please suggest drive route. Before yesterday, I did not feel like we could or should include Istria in this short visit. Perhaps we should save it for another trip....

Any comments, suggestions appreciated.

Feb 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM

My husband and I flew into Zagreb, rented a car for the entire trip (well, except for our four days in Dubrovnik), and flew out of Dubrovnik and had 16 days as well!! We stayed in B&Bs (the one in rural Istria was our favourite) the entire time. We were there September/October 2006.

I researched B&B's (sobe) for hours and hours and hours before we left and found some remarkably inexpensive lodging that was charming and beautiful. We paid only 30 euros per night (NOT per person) for an entire house in Istria. The most we paid was 50 euros per night and that was in Dubrovnik. That place was an apartment and even had a loft!

We are so glad we spent time in Istria as it turned out to be our favourite area. The hilltowns were definitely charming! Do not miss Hum, Groznjan, Gracisce, Bale, Roc and Motovun. Our least favourite (if we had to choose) would be Motovun because it was packed with tourist buses. We stayed only a few hours.

We then worked our way down to Dubrovnik, stopping in many places along the way (i.e. Plitvice Lakes, Trogir, etc.). We decided to base in Trogir rather than Split, but then we like smaller towns better than large. We went snorkeling at Trogir (our B&B faced the sea). We found Trogir to be much more charming than Split (we only spent a few hours there), especially in the evening.

Plitvice Lakes were gorgeous - exceeded our high expectations. The coastal scenery is breathtaking.

We visited less-known islands such as Pag and Ugljan.

Dubrovnik is a whole story in and of itself - just fantastic. You definitely do not need your car here - we dropped it off upon our arrival and are glad we did. You must walk the walls for lovely views. Our B&B was just over a block to the old town and involved no stairs (we heard many stories of climbing hundreds of steps before we left).

You will find good food and wine in abundance. We also went truffle hunting in Istria and had a fabulous dinner at a truffles only restaurant there. But then white truffles are only in season for a short time.

If we were offered a trip to Italy or Croatia tomorrow we would choose Croatia. That is how much we loved it (and we love Italy!).
Feb 23rd, 2007, 08:32 AM

Hi batravler,

We are headed to Croatia in May and have most of our plans made...except for Istria. We will spend 2 nights there and are having trouble finding a place. We want to be in the hilltowns and many places require 3 nights lodging. Where did you stay? Did you find a good website or did you "wing" it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Sasi
Feb 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM

Lucky you! We stayed in a rural B&B way off the beaten path. It was paradise!
http://www.tzpazin.hr/index_eng.php?stranica=147

In our research, we also found that many places we inquired about did require three nights' lodging but when we asked about this, most agreed to less. However, we loved Istria so much we stayed for five nights.

Another place we investigated was in Motovun but this is on the main drag (although it does not look like it in pictures). Although Motovun was the busiest hilltown we saw (and we went to many) it likely gets quieter in the evenings. The owners seemed very nice to deal with, too.
http://www.apartmani-motovun.com/en_motovun.php
Feb 24th, 2007, 11:32 AM

Thanks for your great tips! We will be going from Triest to Dubrovnik in the autumn and would be interested in knowing what sites you used for B & B's along the coast. We would be interested in one or two night stays in places before Dubrovnik. What small towns would you recommend for two night stays? Could you also include the B and B in Plitvice. What is the best way to get there from the coast? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Mar 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM

ttt - I'd also like to know where you stayed in Plitvice. thx
Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:04 AM

Your trip itinerary pretty much mimics the trip that we took in October. With this in mind I think it is possible for you to include Istria on a 16 day trip. We started and ended in Dubrovnik. This big loop was possible for us because we took an overnight ferry from Hvar to Opatjia (near Istria)so we didn't have to drive up and down the coast.

Not big on shopping? You're in the right country because there isn't much to shop for in Croatia. The only shops of interest we saw in Croatia were some jewelry stores. Some had interesting coral jewelry.

Plitvice is a must! We spent 2 nights there. Stayed at Hotel Jezero (Holiday Inn like accommodations). Scenery is simply stunning.

I also recommend Montenegro. It was a fantastic drive thru Bay of Kotor. Again, like Plitvice, stunning scenery. It's a lot to do in a day but doable.

Dubrovnik left us a little cold. Certainly a minority view on this board! Simply covered with tourists. Two cruise ships parked off shore while we were there disgorging people all day. Croatia Disney. The wall and the architecture are pretty cool though.

Have to get to work. Write back if you have any questions.

Search this Thread