Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia - need help deciding from those that have been to Hvar , Dubrovnik, and Lopud

Search

Croatia - need help deciding from those that have been to Hvar , Dubrovnik, and Lopud

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am down to this! I have FFM into Split and back to Rome for free, but I only have 7 days in Croatia. If I use the FFM ticket I will only have 2 days (3 nights in Dubrovnik) and 1/1/2 days (2 nights in Hvar.) The other 2 are travel days to and from Split.

This just doesn't sound good to me as it is the end of a busy trip and I like to stay in one place at least 3-4 days. I can go to Split and Hvar and miss Dubrovnik on a free ticket or I can go to Dubrovnik and Lopud and skip Hvar and pay $900 for a ticket to and from Rome to Dubrovnik. Czech airlines codeshares with Delta and only flies out of Split. I am leaning toward Dubrovnik and Lopud. I have to buy the rest of my FFM ticket next week. Never having been to Croatia, I am thinking that I don't want to miss Dubrovnik, but it is so hard because everyone here keeps talking about how fabulous Hvar is. If the airfare wasn't a factor, what would you do? Many thanks.

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:45 PM

WT
Whatever else you do, DO NOT miss Dubrovnik, Hvar is lovely but nothing can compare to Dubrovnik, I have not been to Lopud so can't comment.
Just so I've got it right, you have 6 nights and fly out on the 7th day? What time of day are the flights in and out of Split and would you be prepared to hire a rental instead of relying on buses to Dubrovnik (its only 2hrs. 45mins), its a good road and scenery is spectacular?
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help Patricia. This is what is so confusing. Some say 4-5 hr. drive from Split to Dubrovnik. Via Michelin says 2.5. Have you driven it? Will this work? I just discovered I can't get the flights I need into Dubrovnik either.
Will this be too rushed?

1 Fly Athens to Split (evening)
2 ferry to Hvar, overnight
3 Hvar, overnight
4 slow ferry to Dubrovnik or hire a driver, overnight Dubrovnik (it appears to run this day)
5 Dubrovnik
6 Dubrovnik
7 evening flight to Rome*

pay $800-900 for flight to Rome for 2 on Croatia air

The problem with this is that from my searches it appears that driving through Hvar is difficult. I contacted Atlas and they wanted over 500 Euro for the trip, plus hotel for driver. No word from Miro and I really didn't want to spend a day on the ferry.

If Split is just 2.5 - 3 hrs. from Dubrovnik, should I just:

1 fly into Split, overnight
2 drive to Dubrovnik
3 Dubrovnik
4 Dubrovnik
5 Dubrovnik
6 drive back to Split, overnight*
7 morning flight to Rome

*I could get another day in Dubrovnik if I pay for this flight instead of using FFM.

Thanks WT
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 10:38 PM

WT -
I agree with patricia - don't miss Dubrovnik. Hvar is great but in no way compares to Dubrovnik. I found the seven days sped by - and wished I could have spent more time there. Go to Dubrovnik and relax - stay at a hotel south of the OId Town with a view (I'm partial to the Excelsior but it's pricey however the terrace was worth it).
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 11:22 PM

WT
We have driven from Split to Dubrovnik and vice versa several times and it has never taken more than 3 hrs. However I guess there is always a chance of road works, breakdowns etc. If you really, really want to see Hvar:

1. Athens to Split (overnight)
2. Take an easy daytrip to Hvar
(at least you get to see it)
Overnight in Split.
3. Early start, drive to Dubrovnik
4. Dubrovnik
5. Dubrovnik
6. Drive back to Split (overnight)
7. Morning flight to Rome
You could be in Dubrovnik on day 3 by lunchtime and leave after lunch on day 6. This should give you enough time to see the best of Dubrovnik. We have not driven on Hvar but I have heard from friends that the road from Hvar town to Sucuraj is pretty tortuous and slow.
I would suggest your only other choice would be to skip Hvar altogether, fly in and out of Split, enjoy the wonderful coastline drive in both directions and spend your time in Dubrovnik. Good luck.

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I appreciate the options and input ya'll have given me. I think I am going to give up Hvar this trip. When I moved from a Friday flight out of Athens to a Saturday a while back, nothing worked anymore! I'll keep you posted. I have to buy my FFM tickets on reserve this week. WT
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

I BOUGHT MY TICKETS TODAY!!! Finally!! I don't think I could have gotten this done without the help from all of you! I gave up the FFM ticket for more time in Dubrovnik! (No flight Sat or Sun from Prague to Split so I would have lost 2 days.) Spending one night in Split. Plan to drive the next afternoon to Dubrovnik and will explore and enjoy as much as I can, then fly out of Dubrovnik to Rome.

I had planned to stay at Villa Argentina, but I am considering the Pucic Palace since it is in Old Town. I think Judi saw it. Does anyone else know anything about it? Since I only have 1 night and 1/2 day in Split, which hotel is more convenient to the sights, Hotel Split or Hotel Park. I think those are the recommended hotels. Thanks.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 11:03 PM

WT
Great that you finally made a decision, you will just have to go back to Croatia in the future to see Hvar!!
I know you will enjoy the drive from Split to Dubrovnik, leave yourself time to pull over and admire the views. Look out for the village of PODGORA (been visiting here since 1967) my favourite place in Europe, its a good stop for a cold drink about 1 hour south of Split. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patricia. I will take a leisurely drive down the coast and plan to stop in Podgora. Do you recommend any car rental agency?
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 09:57 AM

WT
We usually arrive in Croatia already with a car but a couple of times have used Adriaplus and Kompas. Not sure if Kompas have a depot at Split airport but Adriaplus do. We had no problem with either company and the their fleets were the latest cars, Renault etc. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

That's what I needed. Thanks again!