Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Urgent! Last minute change to Split and Dubrovnik. Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are leaving Thursday and changing out itinerary from the Wachau Valley and Cesky Krumlov, due to bad weather, to Split and Dubrovnik. We have 5 nights. What is the ideal division. We are flying into Split and out of Dubrovnik. Does one place deserve more time than the other? Is one inherently more interesting? Any input would be gladly received! I haven't had time to research the area. We will have a car. Anything nearby to see? Have you been to either? Area best to stay in each area?
Thanks
Tina
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 10:28 PM
kja

I would give no more than 3 nights to Dubrovnik -- a day or day and a half is enough for most of its highlights.

Split is my favorite city in Croatia, and I would give it at least 3 nights (so 2 days), but not everyone is as enamored of Split as I am. The good news is that you have a LOT of day trip options from Split, so even if you aren't thrilled with it, you can explore other options.

NO car is needed and having one will NOT serve you well! You don't need a car for either Split or Dubrovnik, and finding parking in either will be difficult and potentially costly. Moreover, views from the BUS from Split to Dubrovnik are spectacular, IMO, and can only be TRULY enjoyed if one is not trying to pay attention to the roads -- which, in that area, definitely require every bit of your attention! SO fly into Split, take the bus to Dubrovnik (sit on the RIGHT), and then visit Dubrovnik.

And when in Dubrovnik, visit the Buza Bar.

Hope that helps!
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 07:45 AM

1 full day each for Split/Trogir, Hvar, Korcula, Dubrovnik.
https://www.krilo.hr/en/sailing-sche...lit-dubrovnik/
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 10:05 AM

Dubrovnik is more charming than Split but also more touristy. Split probably is more interesting, though I didn't fall in love with it. Dubrovnik is more of a tourist trap than Split, which is more of a real working city, but Dubrovnik is really lovely closer to sunset and after dark when everything is all lit up.

Possible itineraries:
Maybe 1 night in Split (assuming you have at least half a day to explore it - so arriving late and leaving early the next morning wouldn't be enough time), take a ferry to Korcula (island - to the town of Korcula town), two nights in Korcula, and maybe two nights in Dubrovnik. I wouldn't have a car doing it that way, either; you can get to Korcula from Split by catamaran and either a bus or catamaran from Korcula to Dubrovnik. I'd do Korcula if you want some relaxing downtime.

Or, skip an island, rent the car: two nights in Split, rent a car as you leave Split, drive to Mostar, BiH, one night in Mostar, drive to Dubrovnik, and two nights in Dubrovnik - and you'll probably want to drop the car when you arrive because parking at the old town is a challenge and not cheap. Staying in or near the old town is desirable. But if you really need to keep the car in Dubrovnik, consider staying away from the old town - in Lapad or Cavtat. You would incur a one-way drop fee for a short rental, but the parking costs you save may more than make up for it.
Old Sep 12th, 2017, 04:50 PM
kja

No need to rent a car to visit Mostar -- the bus is very comfortable and would let you actually see some of the beautiful scenery without having to watch the road.