Critique my Paris Itinerary

Oct 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Critique my Paris Itinerary

This is my 5th trip, so we're trying to see some of the museums and collections that we've missed on previous visits.

We'll arrive at CDG at 8:15 AM Wednesday after an overnight flight from Atlanta. After going through Passport Control and claiming our bags, I plan to purchase coupons for the Carte Orange and RER tickets then make our way to our apartment in the 16th.

Once we arrive and settle in, we'll probably go to the Carrefours at Autueil to purchase supplies for the next few days.

We try to get out, walk around, and start to reset our body clocks. We might take a brief nap after our shopping, then check out The Musee d'Arte Moderne at the Palais de Tokyo, and the Petit Palais. We'll probably have an early dinner around Trocadero, watch the lights on the Eiffel Tower, and head home to bed.

Thursday and Friday I'll have Museum Passes so that we can make several short visits to museums of interest.
We'll start Thursday AM at the Picasso, then head over to Pompidou Center, go to Angelina's for lunch.
After lunch, some time in the Louvre(we've been several times, but I want to see the Crown Jewels, and Napoleon's Apartments. We'll take bus 72 to Palais de la Decouverte, then on to Musee du Quai Branly(open til 9) for a quick look around. We'll probably eat a light meal at home, having enjoyed a large lunch and dessert at Angelina's.

Friday we are joining a group tour of Rungis Market, which meets at 5AM, and concludes with a meal at 8:30 AM.
We'll use the Museum pass to go up in the Arc de Triomphe, then to the Musee Nissim de Camondo, and the Cernuschi. Home for lunch and a nap, then back to the Louvre(open late) to see the Objets d'Art.

Saturday we'll purchase the Loisir Forfait and head to Versailles; if weather permits, we'll ride the Bateaux Parisiens in the evening.

Sunday, we may try to go to both Fontainebleau and Vaux le Vicomte.

Monday-the Natural History museum, lunch and a stroll around a Chinese area, then over to the 8th to visit Musee Jacquemart Andre and Musee Guimet.

Tuesday a visit to the Marais--Musee Carnavalet and Musee Cognac-Jay. In the evening we have tickets to Opera Bastille for Rigoletto.

Wednesday--head to the airport.

I know that Thursday is ambitious, but we may not spend a great deal of time at any of the museums, but they are all worth a look.

Thanks in advance for looking at this itinerary. Suggestions for modest price(under 100 euro for 2, not counting wine) restaurants in these areas would be welcomed.
Thanks, Barb

Oct 5th, 2008, 06:42 PM

Don't miss the Guimard buildings in Autueil.
Oct 5th, 2008, 06:44 PM

bookmarking
Oct 5th, 2008, 07:19 PM
yk

Make sure you check Louvre website to see which galleries are closed Friday evening. They have a list on their website. Last year we went Fri evening with main goal of seeing the Flemish/Dutch paintings, only to find those galleries closed at 6pm.
Oct 5th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Thanks yk. I hadn't noticed the link before.

Note that the French list of closings is more specific than the English one:

Département des Objets d'Arts
La Galerie d'Apollon (salle des Diamants de la Couronne) est ouverte tous les jours sauf le mardi.
Les salles 8-20 et 27-32 (XVe-XVIIIe s.) sont fermées le vendredi en nocturne.
Les salles 75-81 (Mobilier XIXe s.) sont fermées les jeudis et vendredis en nocturne.
Les salles 35-61 (XVIIe-XVIIIe s.) sont fermées pour travaux.
Les autres salles du département sont ouvertes tous les jours sauf le mardi.

The English page merely says:

Decorative Arts
Rooms 1 to 3 (pre-classical Greece), Denon wing, lower ground floor, will be closed until 2010.
The other rooms of the Department are open every day except Tuesday.
Oct 6th, 2008, 12:23 AM

Note that the Picasso museum is closed until October 24th. There's a wonderful show of Nolde's that just opened at the Grand Palais if you're interested in his work.

We had a great meal last week in the 16th at the Bistro de la Muette (10, Chaussee de la Muette), across from the Metro. It was 36 euros each, which included three courses and a bottle of wine! It was really delicious. Be sure and go to the Bistro, not the restaurant right on the corner, which was completely empty when the Bistro was packed. We went late and got in, but if you want to make reservations, the number is 01 45 03 14 84.

Also, the Marmottan-Monet museum in the 16th is wonderful and not far from the Bistro.

Enjoy!
Oct 6th, 2008, 03:20 AM

Nancy1652,

Have you seen the Nolde exhibit? How big is it and how much time did it take? Was there a long wait to get in?

Oct 6th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Original Poster

Nancy-thanks for the info on the Picasso museum. I see that there is an exhibit at Grand Palais "Picasso to Delacroix" while we are there.

thanks also for Bistro de la Muette, we'll put it on the list. We have enjoyed the Marmottan on a past visit, and may not have time for a repeat. Ahhh Paris! So much to see, so little time!
Barb
Oct 6th, 2008, 04:41 AM

Had a great lunch at L'Epicerie at #30 rue Montorgueil, at the lower end of the street on the left if your heading south, just before you reach Les Halles' northern entrance. My favorite restaurant, Le Tastevin on the Ile St. Louis, has menus starting in 30e price range up to 49e at dinner (also open for lunch). A good place just one street east of Place des Voges, Les Fontaines, 9 rue Soufflot. 3-course lunch was reasonable--I want to say around 20-25e without wine, might have been a bit less. Love some of your itinerary choices, good ideas for my next trip. I found Victor Hugo's house in the Place des Voges very interesting as well as Delacroix's studio in the Place Fustemberg in the 6th--just behind Rue de Seine--not that you need to add anything to your itinerary!
Oct 6th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

It's now officially October 7th! Today I leave for Paris!!!!

I'm packed, but as usual, I'm going through my last minute frenzy to get organized before I go. I work til 2pm tomorrow, then head for the airport, so I guess it's time to sleep a little, although the more tired I am, the better the chance of sleeping on the plane.

Oct 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Bon voyage! Looking forward to your trip report.