Crete and Santorini

Search

Crete and Santorini

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crete and Santorini

My wife and I are planning to be in Crete from 16 to 23 June 2007. Our accommodation is booked during this period in a resort about 27 KM from Heraklion, at THE VILLAGE HOLIDAY CLUB, KOUTOULOUFARI, LlMENAS HERSONISSOU, NOMOS, IRAKLIOU.
1. We wish to visit say 3 good beaches where we can swim. Which ones would you recommend?
2. We propose to visit the site of Knossos and a few other important archeological sites. Which ones would you recommend?
3. We propose to visit Santorini en route to Athens from Crete. Our plan is to go there by fast ferry at the end of our Crete stay, spend a night there(or two nights as most seem to recommend) and then go on by fast ferry to Athens. Flights by Aegean Airlines have been recommended from Santorini to Athens on this site but my wife wants to travel by ferry!! What would you recommend?

Regards
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:30 AM

In response to #3, the ferries are a unique experience, while one flight is pretty much like any other, except when it is late or they lose your bags. If that will be your first time in the Greek Islands then why not take the ferry?

For many of us who return to the islands year after year, the thrill has worn off, and we just want to get there as quickly as possible. But I still remember my first ferry ride. Magic!
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 10:50 AM

In response to 2. you should pair your visit to Knossos with a visit to the Archaeological museum in Iraklion. Also, you can get in to both free on a Sunday.

Given where you're staying I'd suggest Malia and Gournia for your other two sites. Or a quick sprint south to Phaistos and Agia Triada, if you're up for an hour in the car.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM
GBC

A couple of notes about your third question. First, I think that you will want more than one night on Santorini. If you can arrange two or more I think you'll be pleased. Second, how you travel from Santorini on depends upon your final destination. If you are going to Athens to continue on another flight, then the Aegean Air option would seem to have the advantage. If you are actually planning to stay in Athens your options are greater. The ferry puts you west of the city as I recall while the airport will be to the east. I hope this is helpful. Have a great trip.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all for your thoughtful replies. Regards
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

We have finally booked our air tickets by Aegean Airlines both ways between Athens and Heraklion at the fare available to "early birds"! We found this more convenient within our overall travel programme and with accommodation already booked at Athens for 23-24 June. We now propose to stay in Crete for a week (16-23 June 2007) where we are already booked for the week on time-share, and propose to visit Santorini in the morning by ferry one day during that period, stay there for the night and return to Heraklion the next evening - all subject to ferry timings of course!! We don't wish to sacrifice more than 2 days (and the intervening night) at Crete during our week there!
Will it be possible to suggest hotels with a room rent (for two) of about 70 Euros located centrally at Fira, which might be suitable for such a programme? Regards