Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice is planned...Suggestions for the rest of the trip?

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very excited -- we've booked (with friends) an apartment in Venice for the second week of April (we'll be there for Easter.) We fly into Milan a few days ahead of time and are planning on two nights in Verona before going to Venice. After Venice, we have 6 nights before we need to be back in Milan to fly home. (By the way, this is where we are staying in Venice: http://www.viewsonvenice.com/ca_duca.html

We don't know exactly what to do after Venice. We've kicked around Lake Como, Cinque Terre, Florence. I'm leaning toward Florence (I've been, hubby has not), just because, well, it's FLORENCE. The problem is, we live in a city, and tend to like to vacation places where we can enjoy sitting and relaxing if we don't feel like doing anything. Como seemed perfect, but I'm worried about it being too cold in April to really enjoy (plus I like to pack light and don't want to take heavy coats or sweaters)
Cinque Terre seems good, but I guess I'm concerned about the transportation. Florence may be overload to my husband who will want plenty of relaxation time.

Opinions? Is there someplace wonderful I'm ignoring? We don't like to move around much, so we'd like to pick one place. I'd kind of like to use the train, but we are not afraid of renting a car. Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM

April is such a hard month to predict in terms of weather, it is heard to advise. But I suggest you rent a car and go to Umbria. In Umbria, you can both do nothing without a bad conscience yet at the same time, should you want to do some touristing, Assisi is right there, Gubbio is too, so is Perugia - truly a unique city with a FANTASTIC art museum and dark chocolate that is SOOOO good - and great wineries (Montefalco) but also some very low key places like Spello or Bevagna that are just quaint, historic places.

You'll be glad to get away from the mad tourist rush in other places and you'll feel like your discovering someting more personal than marching in lockstep with the crowds.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM

PS: Unlike Tuscany, where you have to traverse hill and dale and winding road to get from one town to another, the broad Umbrian plain is like a bowl, with most of the historic towns ringing the bowl. (You instantly can see why they fought each other.) So it is extremely easy touristing, although for a visit to the ziggaraut of Perugia, it is often best to leave the car at a smaller town train station and take a train or a bus to Perugia (then the escalator inside the mountain to the top).
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:56 PM

jelley -- nessudorma's suggestion is a good one (including the chocolate).

Regarding your original suggestion, we all felt Florence was a comfortable walking place. My dad, a farm boy, felt entirely at ease walking around on his own. We enjoyed shopping, walking along the river. Also the museums and gardens are not just about art (and my parents were a little maxxed out on art). There's a science one, and all sorts of stuff besides art at the Pitti. One day my mom and grandma split off and went to Lucca by train. So there are options if he gets bored.

April would be good weather for either Tuscany or Umbria.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:03 AM

I read just now this post.
How was your holiday?
Have you enjoyed your time in Venice?
I would like to have your feedback.
Thanks
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:20 AM
ira

Hi J,

I agree with Umbria.

Don't forget Orvieto.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Umbria, eh? That is a little further south than we'd planned, but with all these suggestions, it bears looking into. It actually sounds perfect. At least, after nessundorma's comments about the unpredictability of April weather, I think I have definitely scratched Como off the list. Thanks!

I'm still open for comments from other Fodorites!
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Ups, I'm in Europe and wrong the date , so I'll wait for the feedback, but can help for the planning

The lakes are lovely during spring, and April can be already warm. From Como you can take the boat and travel to the little north villages on the sides of the lake like Bellagio or the Villa where was located the wedding in Star Wars.
...and maybe meet G. Clooney

Umbria is absolutly wondeful but you will have to travel a little more and the weather is quite the same of the lakes.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:06 AM

May I suggest Lucca - we spent three night there inbetween Venice and Rome and we loved it. Also from Lucca it is easy to get to Florence for a day trip and also the CT and I think Pisa. It is a smaller city and pretty much off the tourist radar screen so it proved to be the perfect break for us. You can walk or bike around the city walls - a lovely relaxing activity.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your replies! After all this wonderful advice, I feel ungrateful to report that we are going to rent an apartment in Florence after all. We decided that we'd like to be somewhere where, if the weather was bad, we would still have plenty to do. We are planning trips out to the country-side as well as visits to the must-see museums. (I've heard good things about the Accidental Tourist day trips, for example--wineries and cooking classes!)

Thanks again. DH and I discussed it, and are putting Umbria on the definite must-stay list when we come back to visit Rome.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Jelley,

I think an apartment in Firenze for the reasons you say -- or any reason -- is a geeat idea. Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Good choice,
Firenze, with museum and shopping, will be perfect also with bad weather.