Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to split time between Venice and Southern Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to plan trip for 05, and determine minimum # of days to see both Venice and Tuscany, accounting for 2 days on either end as travel days - we are coming from Boston.

We will most likely start off in Tuscany, and want to mainly see Montalcino, Pienza, Montepulciano, Assisi area. I think we will save Florence for another trip, and don't know that we will even do Sienna unless someone tells me we are really missing something.

We want this to be a really relaxing trip, slow-paced. Staying at Locanda Amorosa. Then train to Venice, and would like enough time to linger, stroll, hang out in some cafes, and just get a feel for the city before returning home. Pick here is Londra Palace.

Would love to do 2 weeks, but not sure we can get that amount of time off from work, so asking for help here. We're traveling on frequent flyer miles (Delta), so hoping it is not a problem to fly into one city and out of another.

Would also like recommendations on what time of year to go. We were thinking May - trying to avoid rain, heat, bugs, and the "smelly canal" season.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:09 AM

May would be a very good month in my estimation. The fields are in bloom with wildflowers plus all of the other flowers around and in the houses and towns, very pretty. If you enjoy the green colors of rolling hills, vs brown dried rolling hills then the specific area of Tuscany you are going to is very green in May , once summer arrives it starts to turn brown. It's not to hot yet, and the cold is realy gone. Also the hoards of tourist for the summer season have not arrived yet. Also if it is in early May you may still encounter some off season discounts. A day to slowly see each of the Tuscan cities would probably be appropriate. If you enjoy vino then you want to ensure you have enough time to sit back in each of these towns and tatse the fantastic wines of this region, especially in there own element. I would add 2 or 3 days to see the attractions & vineyards of the countryside. Some great vineyards and beautiful abbeys are nearby these towns. It could be argued to see Assisi in 2 days, if your taking it slowly to enjoy all that surronds you. There are a few more churches in Assisi, besides the basillica, then the Tuscan towns. also surronding countryside has more rugged hills then the Tuscan area your in. Sienna is worth any side trip, but with the places your going I wouldn't think it would matter in the greater scheme of your experiences in Tuscany. Venice is enjoyable, not a lot of time is needed there to get the feel of the city, although you could find many things to explore. It would also be a good contrast to the hill towns of Tuscany.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:18 AM
ira

Hi

Along with lorenzi's suggestions, I think you should do at least 2 nights in Venice.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 04:45 AM

I would do at least two full days in Venice and that probably means 3 nights. If you do take 2 weeks, I would do 3 to 4 days in Venice. A week would be plenty to see the things you listed in Tuscany and you could add some. I agree with May but have had beautiful weather in late September as well.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. So what we are thinking is:

Fly in to Rome or Florence (not sure which would be closer) and train to Chiusi, pick up car, and drive to Locanda Amorosa - Night 1
Day in Montepulciano - Night 2
Day in Pienza/Montalcino - Night 3
Day in Assisi - Night 4
Day in Cortona - Night 5 (Can we combine Assisi and Cortona, or is that too much to do in one day??)
Day in Tuscan Countryside - Night 6
Next AM return car in Chiusi and train to Venice - Night 7
Venice - Night 8
Venice - Night 9
Next AM leave for Home

That gives us 10 days - about the amount of time we would be able to take.
If anyone thinks one more day would be good either location, let me know.

I think we will just amble in Tuscany, but would love the "must sees" in Venice. We are not museum people, but love churches, and architecture, shops, cafes.

Is the Londra Palace a good location for first-timers to Venice?

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:57 PM
ira

Hi wanderer,

Why not drive to Venice and drop the car there?

Must sees in Venice: check the fodors miniguide at www.fodors.com.

Venice is an experience in itself. Just wander through the town. Little churches on tiny campos have works by the world's greatest artists.

You will come home comparing Tintoretto to Titian, Caravaggio to Canaletto, and everybody to da Vinci.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Fly in to Rome or Florence (not sure which would be closer) and train to Chiusi, pick up car, and drive to Locanda Amorosa - Night 1
Day in Montepulciano - Night 2
Day in Pienza/Montalcino - Night 3
Day in Assisi - Night 4
Day in Cortona - Night 5 (Can we combine Assisi and Cortona, or is that too much to do in one day??)
Day in Tuscan Countryside - Night 6
Next AM return car in Chiusi and train to Venice - Night 7
Venice - Night 8
Venice - Night 9
Next AM leave for Home

If you do this, you will spend more time checking in and out of hotels than sight seeing. It's honestly quite insane.

Also flying into Florence is near impossible. Very few international flights go there.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:06 PM

We will be going to Tuscany and Venice in just four weeks....can't wait.

May is a beautiful time to travel but my husband can't take off then. If given the choice of when to go to Italy, May would be my first choice and April second (but not Easter week).

We also used Delta FF miles, and I must say that they were wonderful and found flights for us into one city and out another. I think the key was that we were flexible on the dates and days of the week.

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Platzer -
My post was confusing. We are not changing hotels every night. We would spend 7 nights in Tuscany at the Locanda Amorosa ONLY(I was just counting the nights - didn't mean different night in each place!!) and 3 nights in Venice at Londra Palace.

Ira, isn't it quite far to drive from Sinalunga to Venice? Would not the train be faster and perhaps more relaxing?
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 07:49 AM

Wanderer -

It's a 3 hour drive from Sinalunga to Venice. It's a pretty easy drive and then, if you want to, you can stop off along the way at other places. I prefer driving to the train, but that's obviously a personal preference...

I think that combining Cortona and Assisi may be a push, but you could use that last day to see one of these towns. I don't think you need a special day to see the "Tuscan countryside", you'll be seeing it as you travel from town to town...'

Have a great time!

Dona
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Question about Londra Palace/Venice and the area it is in.

The website looks beautiful but I read of someone on here who stayed at the Metropole, which I think is near, and they called the area "hotel row" with a "carnival-like" atmosphere.

We most likely will not be able to afford a canal-view room, so is there a better place or "district" to stay in Venice?

We like the look of this hotel - not so "busy" or "fussy" as some we have seen. We also want to be in a good area to walk to lots of cafes, small shops (not looking for designer shops - more little craft shops, markets, etc.)
We loved the left bank in Paris, and would a similar "feel" to where we stay.