Reload this Page >

Venice or Tuscany or both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Pat Klontz

I am flying into Zurich and out of Milan in late May and early June. I have seen Rome and southern Italy, but I have not been anywhere in Italy north of Rome. I will spend three or four days in Switzerland before taking a train to Milan to meet my daughter. We will have nine days to spend in northern Italy. Can I comfortably train to Venice and spend a day or two and then drive across the country and spend the rest of my time in Tuscany, or is that too much traveling? I do enjoy some museums, but for the most part, I like to be in small towns. Should I just decide to go toward Tuscany and save Venice for another trip, go toward Venice and save Tuscany for another trip, or try to do both? PJK

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Deb

Both,without a doubt. Venice is my favorite place in the world but 2 or 3 days is fine for a first trip there. Venice has some nice museums but is wonderful for the walking too. Tuscany is probably my second favorite place and 5 or 6 days is great. My favorites are San Gimignano and Montalcino. Have a great time.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Karen

I would definately say both as well. Try venturing down into Umbrian hilltowns as well as they are wonderful.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Pam

Do both and try the train. We rented a car in Florence, drove all around Tuscany then took the train from Florence to Venice. If small towns are what you looking for I assume you'd like to get a feel of life around you in such places. If you only have a few days in Tuscany..try Siena, Montepulciano and Montalcino.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 04:42 PM
Rex

Another vote for both. And I see no reason to incur train expenses. Rent from Venice and head straight to Tuscany.<BR><BR>For what it's worth, the &quot;northeast&quot; quadrant of Tuscany, which you travel through to arrive in Florence is not so interesting as other regions. And if its small town ambience you seek, you probably will not find it of interest to drive your car INTO Florence.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 05:14 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Pat, If I had 9 days in that area I would try to do destinations--3 days each. The third would be Lake Como--you are already there--why not?

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 05:15 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

oops ! Make that 3 destinations !

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:24 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:28 PM
Ann

Or go to Venice for 3 days and then rent a house or apt. in southern Tuscany for a week, near Montalcino, Pienza, and Montepulciano. Loads to do in that area for a week! See www.slowtrav.com for great rental ideas.