Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

County Kerry/Clare itinerary - edit, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping for more helpful input from you all! A friend and I, women in mid-20s, are spending two weeks next June in the UK and western Ireland. Right now we plan to fly from London to Kerry via Ryanair on June 7 and work our way north, flying home from Shannon June 13. We plan to rent a car but have never driven on the left. What do you think? Recommendations on where to stay our last night would also be appreciated - I'm very type A and want to be close to SNN, but also want to spend our last night in Ireland somewhere great.

Thursday 6/7: late afternoon flight, stay in Killarney

Friday 6/8: Killarney National Park (Ross Castle, Gap of Dunloe), stay in Killarney

Saturday 6/9: Ring of Kerry clockwise, drive to Dingle

Sunday 6/10: Dingle Peninsula, Blasket Islands?, stay in Dingle

Monday 6/11: drive to Cliffs of Moher, stay in Ennis or Bunratty

Tuesday 6/12: Burren/Bunratty, stay in Ennis or Bunratty

Wednesday 6/13: 11am flight home (plan to be at SNN by 8am)
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM

So you're going to do all that in one week: rhat's pretty ambitious.

I have flown Continental Airlines from SNN-EWR more than a few times, and Aer Lingus once or twice: I found getting to SNN ywo hours before flight time was OK. It even leaves you time to get VAT Rebates and for Duty Free stores there at Shannon.

At that time of year, you should be able to do the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin and the Burren in one day: take the Tarbert-Kilimer ferry from Kerry and continue on the coast road north to Milton-Malbay. Lahinch and the Cliffs. You might be able to spend the night in Galway (which you have not listed in your itinerary).

I usually spend my last night in Ennis and take advantage of Cruise's 'Trad' Irish music (nightly). It's only about 30-min from Shannon Airport. A B&B will fix you an early breakfast.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:19 PM

I agree that it's a bit fast, but you are young and can probably handle it If you want, read my trip report - we stayed 4 nights each in Ennis and Killarney last summer (June) and saw much of the same things you did. You can either click on my name to find it, or find my website (has pictures) at http://www.greendragonartist.com/BItripreports2006.htm

Good lucK! You'll be fine driving, I think - and you are in the most beautiful part of the country, IMHO. Remember to stop, smell the roses, talk to the locals, and breath in the sheep caca
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:23 PM

I wouldn't add to the programme.

I note you propose to do the Ring of Kerry clockwise. All the coaches and a good majority of the motorists go the other way.

Personally, I think the ring is over-rated. The best bit is between Killarney and Kenmare. Why not go to Kenmare, have a look at the Beara Peninsula, and drive back?

Ennis is a better bet than Bunratty for evening activities, unless you are a sucker for mock-medieval banquets.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:26 PM

ttt
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Also check out www.irelandyes.com, Michele has been visiting Ireland for 30 years and has a lot of great info on her site, as well as a friendly forum dedicated to ireland travel.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:04 PM

Doesn't seem too ambitious. I agree the Ring of Kerry is a bit ho-hum. Much preferred the Dingle Peninsula. Our one-week itinerary (after a few days in Dublin) went as follows:
1. Dublin-Clonmacnois-Galway;
2. Galway/Connemara touring
3. Doolin-Cliffs of Moher-Tabert ferry- Dingle
4. Dingle Peninsula touring
5. Ring of Kerry-Beara Peinsula- Glengariff
6.Gouganne Barra-Cork-The V-Cashel (Rock of Cashel)
7. Kilkenny-Wexford-Kilmore-Rosslare (ferry to Wales)
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the advice/reassurance, everyone! GreenDragon - I read your trip report earlier (found the link on another thread) and it gave me some great ideas. I'll probably reread it as I plan more - it got me very excited the first time.

I had read some other recommendations to drive the ROK clockwise, and it looked like less backtracking if we drove to Dingle that day. But I go back and forth on doing the ROK at all - I figure we can decide when we get there if we want to do that or Kenmare/Beara (thanks for that suggestion!), or just go on to Dingle and spend more time there.

I think we'll wind up in Ennis our last couple of nights - it sounded better than Bunratty, but I was just concerned about the drive to the airport, having read about winding roads and flat tires and having to return the car. Thanks for the Cruise's recommendation as well! Trad music is definitely on my list.