Yet another SW Itinerary question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I just jumped on a great fare for late May from JFK to Shannon. We are experienced European travelers but this is our first trip to the Emerald Isle. For some reason I am having a really difficult time trying to piece together an itinerary without too much back-tracking or redundancy. I have searched the forums for other's ideas but still can't pull it together.

We are arriving in Shannon at 9:40AM on Monday, May 22 and will leave from Shannon on Wednesday, May 31, giving us 9 nights to divide our time. We are active adults who love hiking and cycling but enjoy museums and cultural stops as well (I am an art curator by profession). We will rent a car.

A stop in Galway has been highly recommended by a good friend who has visited there three times, as has the Bunratty Castle & Folk Park (we thought we would do that the day before we leave for NY). Here is a list of our must-sees, with a B-list for things we can choose from to fill our time.

A-List
Galway
Cliffs of Moher
The Burren
Dingle
Killarney National Park
Muckross Abbey

B-List
Ring of Kerry (redundant with Dingle?)
Doolin (overnight)
Kinsale (no interest in Blarney Castle)
Connemara National Park

We have no interest in Dublin for this trip, as we will probably be returning with my MIL within the next five years.

Many thanks,
Eva
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:22 AM

Try this, arrive at Shannon and drive to the Cliffs. The Cliffs only take about an hour, alittle longer if you want to linger. Leave there and drive up the coast to Ballyvaughn. This is a pretty drive that will take you through Doolin which is not my favorite place. Ballvaughn is a nice little village on the coast and if your not too tired you can take a drive through the Burren. The next day head to Galway via the n-18. Be warned the traffic getting into Galway is tough with endless roundabouts. Two nights in Galway and then up early and south to the Tarbert Ferry and Dingle. Two nights in Dingle and a hop over to Killarney. Although Killarney has gotten a little to big and Touristy for me You can do the National Park, Muckross house, the ROK and my favorite, the Gap of Dunloe, a lovely seven mile hike through the Mts and then a boat ride throught the lakes. If you want to stay out in the Country I would suggest Kenmare for your 8th night and a drive around the Ring of Beara which I think is at least as lovely as the ROK. Our a drive to Cork City for the cultural sights. Last night head up to Bunratty and kill the afternoon at the park and shopping. Feel free to disregard all of this and I am sure others will have wonderful advice. Have fun
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - I think this is exactly what I am looking for.

I am right to assume the ride from Galway to Dingle (via the ferry) should take about five hours?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:08 AM

Eva,
The drive I'm taking from Doolin to Dingle is at least five hours. so add on another 1.5 to that.

Here's another thought on your itinerary, and it's what I'm doing in a couple of weeks.
The first day head to Galway and tour Connemara. Two nights there.

After seeing what I wanted in this area, drive to Doolin for a night. Pubs!

Drive to Dingle, spending alot of your time in County Kerry. (Dingle's my favorite over the ROK, but you'd have time to stay in Killarney too if you want).
Kinsale is beautiful, but Kerry's better IMO.

Last night in Bunratty.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:33 AM

I guess I'd do things a bit differently...mostly to avoid that long drive from Galway to Dingle. How about this:

Drive directly to Dingle after arriving at Shannon (and if you feel up to a 3 hour drive that first day). Spend your first 3 nights in Dingle. (It's a great little town. There's wonderful, scenic hiking all over the peninsula. And you might enjoy a visit to the Blasket Center.)

Then, head for Killarney and a day or two in the National Park and visiting Muckross.

Then, up to Doolin, a good base for both the Cliffs and the Burren.

Then on to Galway which is another great town and also a good base for touring the Connemara region.

You could spend your last day and night near Shannon and fit in your visit to Bunratty on that day.

I'd skip the Ring of Kerry in favor of Dingle, and Kinsale is really pretty far from the other places on your list, so I'd forego that for this trip.

Late May is a GREAT time to go!

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM

Here is my complaiant against Doolin based on two viists. Three Pubs not within walking distance of each other so if you want to leave one place and try another you have to make a short drive. There is no village of Doolin, just a small strip of shabby shops next to the "famous" Gus Occonors". I have heard better music all over Ireland and last but not least it is usually overrun by groups of teenagers who mostly binge drink and shout at each other using the F word at the beginning and end of each sentence. I know others love the place but I am off it for good and can't Rec. it to anyone. If you want a second opinion go to Rick Steves site and see what he has to say. Have fun
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for responding - these suggestions were all very helpful.

We are going to spend the day tomorrow firming up our plans and emailing B&B's.

I'll re-post when we have a final itinerary.

Eva
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM
CU

Just a few little snippets that will help you along the way.
www.ireland.ie/getting_around.asp
www.premierguestgouses.com
www.townandcountry.ie
www.irishmusicbars.com
www.shannonferries.com
If you cannot find what you are looking for here it just does not exist.
Enjoy your stay in our humble country.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 02:02 PM
CU

Sorry
www.premierguesthouses.com
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM

I just posted a 7 night itinerary suggestion for another poster that would probably work for you as well. In your case, I would reccommend adding an extra night in Killarney to do the Gap of Dunloe tour AND an extra night in Westport. If YOU drop Kinsale, add in a night in Galway City.
Bob
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:30 PM

Here's a link to the other post:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34741062

Bob
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:32 PM

I agree with MaryZ about your itinerary and with Johnod about Doolin. Have a great trip. Joan
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 02:04 AM

22-29 May are the inclusive dates for Ennis' Fleadh Nua for 2006 http://www.fleadhnua.com
It's a celebration of Irish music & dance. It may be difficult to book lodging reservations this late but it's worth a try. I recommend the Old Ground or the TempleGate hotels. The latter has a website. Send an e-mail direct to Paul Madden! He just might be able to fix you up.

I, personally would put Ennis at the top of my A-list considering the opportunity to be there for that Spring Festival.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:56 AM

My wife, adult daughter, and I were in Ennis last year for one night during the Fleadh Nua. We wish we could have stayed longer!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:05 AM

Re. Fleadh Nua in Ennis (Co. Clare). If you can't make it there during the Festival, thera are usually some 'hangers on' (i.e., musicians who stay a few days after it's over). In May, 2003 I stopped at Cruise's Pub & Restaurant after having a Carvery lunch at the Queen's Hotel (next door). An impromptu session started around 4:00 PM: Musicians came and went; and it ended around 9:00 PM, just before a Group was scheduled to Play. A guitarist from North Carolina led the impromptu session - although he was not the first to arrive.

Ennis is only about 30-min from Shannon airport: in case you might want to overnight there the night before you head back to the U.S.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:57 AM

Actually, I agree with JOHNOD about Doolin, too, but it's a good base for visits to the Cliffs and the Burren and it was on the B list, so I stuck it in there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:38 AM

Have just read my posting on Doolin from yesterday and promise that in the future I will not be in such a hurry and will proof read for typos. Have fun
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:15 PM

I hope that I am not too late to help you. We were in Ireland in Sept. 03 and again in Sept. 04. You might check out my trip reports- we had many A-list items in common.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34453710

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34530300
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Westport was mentioned...could someone tell me something about it??
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 04:53 PM

I'm just piping in here to say that I think 2 nights are enough for Dingle based on having been there twice.

Eva, if you do a search for Westport, there were a few posts lately as Melissa5 was looking at the town as a stop on her trip.

We drove the ROK, Beara Penn and Slea Head in Dingle on our last trip. ROK was our least favorite, although we did enjoy the time we spent being quite lost on our shortcut back to Kenmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -