Country manors/villas in Tuscany

Jan 25th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Country manors/villas in Tuscany

I'm having the hardest time finding places in this region. Everything I've seen are rentals, apartments, hotels.I'm looking for a bed and breakfast, but more like a manor/villa thats located in the vineyards. Not a rental. Price isn't a factor. I'm looking for something that has history, situated on acres of land, kinda remote, but in driving distance to a nearby town. A place that is decorated very cozy, comfortable with antiques and has character.A place that if you decide you can dine with the hosts and have pre-dinner cocktails in the drawing room. Basically, I'm trying to find a place like the manors we stayed at in Ireland. Any suggestions of websites or places that you would recommend?
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM

Have you looked at www.tuscany.net or some of the agriturismo websites?
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Perhaps this? http://www.lafoce.com/
Jan 25th, 2005, 03:36 PM

I've stayed at La Foce...it's wonderful, but it's rentals, not a B & B. Other than that it does fit the description of historical, remote, beautifully decorated, etc.
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:08 PM
rex

It's a little bit unusual to give the same answer, back to back, to fairly different questions, but see if this helps you, as I just posted on http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34557002 - -

=============================

Author: rex ([email protected])
Date: 01/25/2005, 08:05 pm
Message: This is "almost" a hotel (the property in Catignano) mentioned here on this thread - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34550762 - - if it does not fit your criteria, perhaps describing why it does not will help focus on what you actually ARE seeking...

Best wishes,

Rex

=============================

And it is technically a "villa rental", though it just barely fits my own notion of what a villa rental offers...

Jan 28th, 2005, 05:20 PM

You might want to check out Villa Vignamaggio outside of Greve. Its a compound with a main villa and several out buildings with apartments. It is the birthplace of the women who posed for the Mona Lisa. Also was the scene of the movie Much Ado About Nothing.

It has a vineyard dating back to 1600's and they make a great chianti. They do serve dinner there for the guests several nights a week as well. They pick the herbs right from the garden outside the kitchen.

Its about 5 miles outside of Greve and not too far from Castellini. We did great daytrips from there.

They have a great website with lots of pictures. It suits your needs for being on acres of land as well. It was heavenly.
Jan 28th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Meant to tell you to also try the tuscany.net site.

Also -a friend stayed at Casa Cornacchi which you will find on the above site under "Chianti near Arezzo" and liked it very much

One more thing about Vignamaggio. There are two restaurants up the hill from the Villa in these teeny towns that were outstanding. If you decide to stay here, respond to this and i can find the names and let you know.
Aug 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM

definitely check out

www.villapoggiano.com
and
http://www.amorosa.it/

the first is a bit more intimate with that B&B feel.