Tuscany - Villa for 12 with pool?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agreed (after a couple of glasses of wine!) to find the perfect villa, with pool, in Tuscany for myself and 11 friends for May or June 2004. If you have place to recommend I would like to hear about it - there seem to be hundreds of websites devoted to places to stay and they all look fabulous. I would also appreciate your thoughts on which area to stay. Many thanks.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:44 PM

We prefer Southern Tuscany. Definitely check www.slowtrav.com for their villa reviews. We are staying at LaFoce (www.lafoce.com) this May with 5 other couples....I'm hoping it's as wonderful as it looks. I'm the one, after a couple of glasses of wine, who agreed to find the villa. Perhaps we need to avoid wine!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:34 PM

Sue, Do yourself a favor and screen the prospects by setting criteria first. The biggies are: LOCATION--PRICE RANGE--AND BED TO BATH RATIO. I have done your job several times and you will go crazy without concurrence on the above.<BR>And, setting those criteria will narrow your options for you. Most of the big properties will have 2 couple sharing one bath--is that OK? And, I concur, start with slowtrav.com for the best rental advice. I too prefer the area around Siena--especially south of Siena.<BR>Zak from Tuscan House is a good place to start--after slowtrav that is.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 04:40 PM
rex

Here's my experience with a very affordable place - - not luxurious, but I would be glad to fill you in on details... and I have found it now - - but only on a &quot;deutschsprachige&quot; website (in German) - - http://www.toscanareisedienst.de (click on Aktuelle Angebotes)<BR><BR>Here is my earlier post - - from http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1298464 - - <BR><BR>Author: Rex<BR>Date: 05/31/2001, 05:05 pm<BR>Message: I can share with you our experience with an 8 bedroom house &quot;in&quot;/near the town of Ambra (stayed there in 1998). Vaguely between Siena and Arezzo. It is quite remote (too much for some people, perhaps); it was VERY affordable, very roomy, modern enough, satisfactory kitchen, spacious dining and living rooms; eight bedrooms: 2 doubles, 4 twins, 2 singles; 5 bathrooms. Brand new swimming pool, excellent cooking out facilities, in addition to the kitchen. Sit outside and eat outside also, if you wish, but not shaded for that. <BR><BR>We were three adults, our three daughters, six cousins and two boyfriends, so it was a perfect fit for us. <BR><BR>Its name is/was Podere Belvedere, and I have not been able to find it listed with either http://www.regencyintapts.com (through whom we got it), nor with http://www.cuendet.com (it was listed with them in 1998 - - they are kind of a &quot;super-broker&quot; to other North American companies). <BR><BR>Even so, you might have some luck with Regency if you want to try contacting them. <BR><BR>Best wishes, <BR><BR>Rex <BR>
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 11:26 PM

Sue-check REntvillas.com. Are you by any chance part of &quot;the women who would save the world&quot; group travelling to Italy?
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 08:29 AM

It was late when I first responded so here goes the rest of my thoughts. I too prefer southern Tuscany. I would recommend checking out the area around Montepulciano/Montalcino.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:07 AM

We stayed at La Foce in July 2001. It was lovely and very well situated, quite close to Montepulciano, Montalcino and Pienza. May should be just fine -- there is no airconditioning there and the July heat was unbearable at night. I don't know how June will be.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 09:17 AM

We stayed in a villa just north of Castellina in Chianti for 2 weeks, 3 years ago. We loved the location because everything was so close for day trips. We even drove to Florence just for dinner a couple of times! Sienna was close. San Giminagno, Monterigionni, Volterra. We combined Montalcino, Montalpucino and Pienza a one day trip. We would quite often spend a leisurely morning around the pool and enjoy a Tuscan town in the afternoon. You'll have a wonderful time where ever you end up though. It would be hard not too!!